- Former Union minister P Chidambaram moves Delhi court seeking anticipatory bail in
- NASA set to launch world's first mission to touch the Sun
- Need to strike a balance between conflicting rights of protestors and that of citizens:
- Toronto police say nine people shot and shooter is dead in city's Greektown.
CBI to withdraw sections of the POCSO Act against Kuldeep Singh Sengar
With the Unnao rape victim recording a fresh statement before a magistrate in Lucknow on Monday, the probing Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is considering to withdraw sections of the POCSO Act invoked against raoe accused BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar.
On Monday, CBI sleuths brought the victim and her mother from Unnao and got the former’s statement recorded afresh before a magistrate under Section 164 of the CrPC. Earlier in June, she had recorded her statement while the UP Police was probing the case but at that time she did not charge the MLA with rape.
In another development, it transpired during the victim’s medical examination that she was not a minor when the rape took place in June, 2017. The CBI presented the medical report in the Special CBI Court where it was said that she was not a minor at the time of the crime. If the court is convinced with the report, then it might allow scrapping of the sections of POCSO Act charges against the accused MLA.
Earlier a report had claimed that the victim was around 19 years when she was raped last year.
Meanwhile, the CBI would be seeking the court’s permission for conducting narco analysis and polygraph test on the rape accused BJP MLA. CBI sources claimed on Monday said that a decision was taken on this score after it was found that there were discrepancies in the statements of the MLA.
“The MLA was given a similar set of questions after a gap of one hour by interrogating officers. Some of the answers given by him earlier, were contradicted thee second time round,” sources said.
The agency is also likely to move court seeking permission to conduct lie-detector test on Sengar later this week. However, the investigating agency could also seek Narco analysis test on the victim.
The CBI team is likely to take the MLA and his alleged woman accomplice Shashi Singh to Unnao for spot identification and then conduct a face-off with the survivor. Shashi Singh has been in four-day police remand since Sunday. The woman had allegedly taken the victim to Sengar on the fateful day and stood guard outside the room while the heinous crime was allegedly committed by the MLA and others.
On Sunday night, the victim’s uncle again alleged that the MLA’s ‘goons’ had asked the villagers to either be quiet or leave the village.
Last week, Sengar was taken into a seven-day police custody after a marathon 17-hour interrogation. It came after the Allahabad High Court rapped the police for its inaction against the BJP lawmaker who was influencing the ‘law-and-order machinery’.
“The disturbing feature of the case is that the law and order machinery and government officials were directly in league and under the influence of Kuldeep Singh Sengar,” a bench of Chief Justice Dilip Bhosale and Justice Sunit Kumar had said on Friday and fixed May 2 for monitoring the case.
After a massive public outrage over the inaction of UP Police, the case was handed over to the CBI on April 12. Three FIRs have been file by the police. The first FIR pertains to the alleged rape of the girl in which Sengar and Shashi Singh have been named as accused.
- Cong looking for new district president in Raipur 23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Marriage of daughter is a heart touching moment: CM 23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Mobile phones distribution to commence from July 30 23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- New hospitals at Raipur,Korba & Dallirajhara 23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Raipur to have Tennis Academy 23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Jogi makes Richa in-charge for Rajnandgaon constituency 23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Ambulance employees’ stir continues 23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Camel’s Back Road: Mussoorie's Invaluable Heritage 23 Jul 2018 | JASKIRAN CHOPRA | in Dehradun
- Signature campaign launched, seeking probibition on pornography 23 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- Kokaa Kokaa launched 23 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun