CM Yogi announces an ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh
At a time when Chief Secretary and DGP of the state were brainstorming over improving law and order in Allahabad on Thursday afternoon, bike borne assailants peppered a lawyer in daylight near Manmohan Park of Colongelganj police station area.
Chief Minister Yogi Adtyanath announced an ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh to the family members of the deceased.
As per reports, lawyer Rajesh Srivastava (45) of Rambagh area left his home for reaching his workplace at District Collectorate on Thursday morning. As he neared Manmohan Park, two youths on a Pulsar bike rode close to him and shot him on his temple multiple times. As the victim collapsed to the ground the assailants fled the spot waiving handguns. By the time passersby could ensure threatment to the victim Swaroop Rani Nehru Hospital (SRNH), he had succumbed to his injuries.
Ironically, minutes before the gun attack, the motorcade of Chief Secretary and DGP passed through the busy Manmohan Park area.
As the news of their colleague’s killing spread, lawyers in large numbers boycotted judicial work and went on a rampage.
Irked lawyers placed the body of their colleague on the Medical Crossing and went berserk torching several vehicles including two Roadways buses near the SSP office.
As the DM and SSP of Allahabad along with heavy police force reached the spot and tried to persuade the irked mob, the latter refused. After heated exchange between the district officials and lawyers, the agitators indulged in heavy brickbatting giving a harrowing time to the law enforcers.
A large posse of police men were later deployed at the court campus and SRN Hospital. Incensed laweyers demanded the immediate arrest of the assailants and adequate compensation to the victim’s family.
After preliminary probe, SSP, Akash Kulhari said that it appeared that a land dispute could be the motive beehind the murder. A case was registered against two unidentified persons and the police scanned CCTV footage from cameras set up at Manmohan Park.
By the evening, the police managed to net two suspects identified as Pradeep Jaiswal and Kamal Nagar. While Jaiswal is the owner of Ramayana hotel, Nagar is an employee of Allahabad Nagar Nigam.
The SSP said that victim’s family alleged that Rajesh had a dispute with the duo as they dug a nullah in front of the former’s house. Rajesh had complained several times to ANN officials but his efforts went in vain. The two parties often had heated exchanges over the issue.
As a precautionary measure, six companies of PAC and one company of Rapid Action Force was deployed across the city.
In protest of the killing, demonstrations by lawyers were reported from different parts of Allahabad and nearby districts like Pratapgarh, Varanasi and Ghazipur.
On Thursday evening, Uttar Pradesh Bar Council condemned the incident and demanded immediate arrest of the assailants.
The High Court Bar Association also issued a statement expressing solidarity with the Bar Council and denounced the incompetence of Allahabad police and district administration, blaming it for the situation.
It may be pointed out here that a few days ago Pawan Kesari, a BJP Corporator close to the Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya was shot dead in Phulpur. A school Manager was also done to death on the same day in Nawabganj.
- Ranchi girl wins Int’l beauty contest 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Missing boy’s body found 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Chhattisgarh to provide `10 cr aid to Kerala 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Roy inspects repairing of pump house at Mango, water supply resumes 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Tribal Affairs Dept launches App for profile registration of beneficiaries 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Harmu River rejuvenation work to be completed in 2 months 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CS directs officials to keep watch over cattle smuggling 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- XLRI’s ‘Jamshedpur Run’ today 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Maoist surrender before police in Giridih 19 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- NMDC officials study Dhamtari solid waste mgt facility 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur