Kanwariyas on the rampage in Bulandshahr
Kanwariyas went on the rampage in Bulandshahr, attacking police personnel and vandalising their official vehicles on Thursday.
As per reports, a group of kanwariyas attacked policemen and vandalised their official vehicle in Kotwali police station area of Bulandshahr after some kanwariyas had an altercation with policemen last Tuesday.
The kanwariyas, backed by some locals, targeted the police van and assaulted cops present at the spot.
The cops, who initially tried to pacify the kanwariyas, had to run to save their lives.
An old rivalry between kanwariyas and police was said to be the reason for the clash.
The Bulandshahr police registered a case against unidentified persons in connection with the attack.
Interestingly, in a gesture to keep kanwariyas in good humour following directions from Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, the police brass of Meerut zone showered petals on them from a helicopter.
As per reports, ADG (Meerut Zone) Prashant Kumar was caught on camera showering rose petals on kanwariyas from a helicopter. Its video was being widely shared on social media. Beside the ADG, Meerut Divisional Commissioner Anita Meshram and other top officials also showered petals on kanwariyas from the chopper.
ADG Prashant Kumar also directed Baghpat District Magistrate Rishirendra Kumar to supervise arrangements for the three-day Kanwar fair in Pura Mahadev temple in Baghpat where lakhs of Lord Shiva devotees were expected to offer Ganga water to the deity.
Interestingly, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had earlier conducted an aerial survey of Kanwar Yatra route during the first half of the month of Shrawan which started on July 28.
The Chief Minister also showered flower petals from his chopper on the kanwariyas, who responded by prostrating on the highway as the chopper flew over them.
Later, ADG Prashant Kumar issued a clarification on Thursday saying, ‘’No religious angle should be given to this incident as flowers are used to welcome people. The administration respects all religions and actively takes part, even in Guruparab, Eid, Bakrid or Jain festivals.’’
In view of Kanwar Yatra, several routes have been diverted and traffic restrictions imposed to ensure smooth conduct of the pilgrimage. Schools and colleges in several districts and parts of Delhi-NCR too have been closed.
Meanwhile in Budaun, four policemen were suspended for beating an elderly man to death in Sangrampur village of Bisauli area on Wednesday.
Sub-inspectors Sunil Kumar and Ajit Kumar, constable Suresh and a home guard thrashed Mashkur Nabi (60) when they raided his house to arrest his son, Akbar, for involvement in illegal money transaction racket on Wednesday. During treatment, the victim succumbed to his injuries. An FIR was lodged against the four policemen under Section 304 of the Indian Penal Code (culpable homicide not amounting to murder). A probe is on in the matter.
- Students felicitated for outstanding leadership on I-Day 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- SHEIN celebrates first anniversary 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Former FM’s spouse remembers Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | VISHVENDU JAIPURIAR | in Ranchi
- Adhunik Power pays homage to Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- In brief 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Man convicted for raping minor girl 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- City girl wins IFTDA polls in Mumbai 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DC: Lohardaga fairs well in special plan implementation 18 Aug 2018 | Vinod Prasad | in Ranchi
- Preparing for ash immersion, Haridwar still nostalgic 18 Aug 2018 | RADHIKA NAGRATH | in Dehradun
- NH-74 scam: IAS lobby flexes muscles, seeks to meet CM 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun