Opposition walks out of UP Assembly after Govt refuses to introduce scheme for poor girl students
Members of Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and Congress staged a noisy walkout from the Assembly after the the Yogi Adityanath government refused to accept their demand to introduce a scheme for poor girl students in place of the scrapped Kanya Vidya Dhan.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Suresh Kumar Khanna said that the government was providing all benefits to meritorious students and there was no budget or consideration for revival of Kanya Vidya Dhan.
Replying to a question of SP member Nitin Agarwal, Khanna said that in 2017-18, the government had provided 147 meritorious students with cash award of Rs 1 lakh each besides a tablet. Besides, under Deen Dayal Upadhaya scheme, meritorious students were given Rs 2,000 per month as scholarship.
Khanna also mentioned that the government was also providing free sweaters, shoes and socks to primary school students. He added that there was scholarship for meritorious students and not for poor girls.
The Opposition however ersisted with their demand for scholarship for poor girl students on passing Intermediate and when the government refused to budge, first SP members walked out of the House and were followed by BSP and Congress members.
Meanwhile, to another question of Aradhana Mishra (Congress), Khanna said that the government was opening 166 Deen Dayal Upadhaya colleges in the state to cope up with the shortage of quality education.
However, Mishra said that there was a huge shortage of colleges in the state as while there were 48,000 primary and upper primary schools, there were only 7000 colleges.
- Students felicitated for outstanding leadership on I-Day 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- SHEIN celebrates first anniversary 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Former FM’s spouse remembers Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | VISHVENDU JAIPURIAR | in Ranchi
- Adhunik Power pays homage to Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- In brief 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Man convicted for raping minor girl 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- City girl wins IFTDA polls in Mumbai 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DC: Lohardaga fairs well in special plan implementation 18 Aug 2018 | Vinod Prasad | in Ranchi
- Preparing for ash immersion, Haridwar still nostalgic 18 Aug 2018 | RADHIKA NAGRATH | in Dehradun
- NH-74 scam: IAS lobby flexes muscles, seeks to meet CM 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun