- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Rahul Gandhi’s Controversial visit to his Parliamentary constituency Amethi
Controversy punctuated Congress president Rahul Gandhi’s visit to his Parliamentary constituency Amethi on Monday, when district authorities postponed the inauguration of a road under Pradhan Mantri Gramin Sadak Yojna scheduled to be done by the Congress chief on Monday. Rahul Gandhi reached Amethi on a two-day starting Monday.
BJP district president Uma Shanker Singh said that the five- kilometer Thori-Jagdishpur road was constructed by the Modi government and hence it would be inaugurated by Union minister Smriti Irani and not Rahul Gandhi. “ We will invite Rahul Gandhi when the road is inaugurated by Irani,” he said.
However, District Magistrate of Amethi, Shakuntala Gautam said that the inaguruation was stopped as construction of the road was incomplete. The foundation of the road was laid by Rahul Gandhi on January 16, 2018 and it was constructed by spending Rs 3.80 crore.
On his part, district Congress leader Yogendra Mishra said that Rahul Gandhi was not slated to inaugurate the road and was only supposed to visit it.
Addressing a Kisan Chaupal at Jainabganj, Rahul hit out at the BJP governments at the Centre and Uttar Pradesh respectively, over corruption and incidents of rape.
“ It is clear that the Modi government is helping Neerav Modi and Malaya, who have been involved in financial scams. Similarly in UP, the Yogi government is saving a party MLA in the rape case,” he said.
Rahul said, “I do not want to speak about the Yogi govt in UP. It is more keen to save a rape accused MLA than serve the people. The Central government on the other hand is all about fake promises. People are still waiting for Rs 15 lakh in their account,” he commented.
However, the Congress chief asked the people not to get depressed with this BJP government as development and welfare programmes would start once the Congress came to power in 2019.
Rahul lambasted the UP government claims on supplying adequate power in villages and pointed out that in Shukla Bazar area, the supply was erratic. Besides, he demanded better irrigation facilities.
The Congress chief informed farmers that when he spoke about farm loans, Union Finance minister Arun Jatiely informed him that there was no such proposal but the government did not hesitate to waive off loans worth Rs 2.5 lakh crores of five big industrialists. He also pointed out that the Centre had promised jobs to 10 crore youth but, except for Jai Shah (son of BJP president Amit Shah), none got any job.
Soon after reaching Amethi, Rahul first visited the residence of a Congress leader in Shukla Bazar who died on March 13. He also spoke to farmers at Pali village and discussed their problems hile they were harvesting wheat in their fields.
The farmers told Rahul about lack of irrigation facilities, poor roads and stray animals destroying their produce. Rahul assured to take up the construction of a hospital and tubewell in their area with the state government.
Earlier on his arrival in Lucknow from New Delhi, a dispute emerged at the airport when some Congress leaders were not allowed to meet the Congress chief. These leaders raised slogans against the state leadership and protested their attitude.
Rahul was welcomed at the airport by UP Congress chief Raj Babbar, former Rajya Sabha member Pramod Tiwari and several other leaders.
Interestingly, Gandhi’s visit comes just after Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani’s visit to Amethi on April 13 and 14.
The Congress President will be spending two days in Amethi and the third day in Rae Bareli with his mother and local MP Sonia Gandhi.
On Monday, Rahul inaugurated Brightway School at Rastamau-Singhpur block. On Tuesday, Rahul will hold a ‘janta durbar’ and inaugurate several roads and other projects. In the afternoon, he will attend a meeting of district monitoring committee at Gauriganj. In evening, the Congress president will address a public meeting at Ramnagar and inaugurate Rajshree Ranajay Global School and Passport Service Centre.
- Pranaam Pawas: A poetic event organised to welcome monsoon 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Rudali: A play on women’s struggles staged 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC allows teenager rape victim to abort 26-week foetus 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Citizens plan to approach court if drive diluted 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BJP MLAs & Cong leaders oppose anti-encroachment drive in Premnagar Bazaa 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 155 cm height fixed for women candidates for police posts 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Woman straying away to Bengal returns home 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Hry Govt to begin special transport service for girl students of Mewat, Morni hills 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab CM approves solar energy project in agri fields 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Inbrief 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi