UP govt join hands with Foundation to intensify vaccination drive
The Uttar Pradesh Government will join hands with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to intensify vaccination drive against Encephalitis and other diseases while the Foundation has shown its inclination to work with TB patients as well as taking up city sanitation plan besides helping farmers to increase their productivity.
A decision in this regard was taken at a meeting between American business magnate and philanthropist Bill Gates and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in Lucknow on Friday. Gates was accompanied by his wife Melinda.
During the 45-minute meet, Gates expressed willingness to work in health, education, cleanliness, malnutrition and women’s empowerment sectors while the state government sough the Foundation’s help in intensifying vaccination drive against dreaded diseases like Encephalitis.
“The Government and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has decided to work in health sector. The two would sign an MoU to speed up vaccination for dreaded diseases as well as extending help to pregnant women and newly-borns,” Yogi said in a statement.
The CM said that for a state like UP, which is home to 22 crore people, health was a big challenge. The Government has started a vaccination drive against Encephalitis in 38 districts and the response was very positive. Under Indradhanush Scheme, 26 lakh children, who were left out, were vaccinated.
Yogi sought help from the Foundation to develop a system where performance of Aanganwadi workers and children could be monitored.
“There are around 2 lakh Aanganwadi centres where mal-norished children and lactating mothers get nutritional food. Tracking the performance of these centres is a tedious job. If the Foundation can find a way out to solve this, it would be a great help,” he said.
Bill Gates said that his Foundation will cooperate with Government in sanitation, Mother and Child development schemes and projects to increase productivity in agriculture sector.
“The Foundation can help tracking Aaganwadi centres through mobile as well as like to work in eradicating Measles and controlling Diarrhoea and Filaria. The Foundation is also keen to work in eradication of TB. Mal-nourishment can be controlled through fortified rice which can also be helpful for lactating mothers,” Gates said.
The business magnate said that the Foundation can also help the government in soil testing through spectroscopy. “We are ready to take up city sanitation plan as a pilot project at the banks of river Ganga,” he said.
Earlier, the CM came specially from Gorakhpur to meet Bill Gates. Immediately after the meeting, in one of the Tweets, the Chief Minister wrote: ‘It is indeed a matter of great joy and pleasure for us that you (Bill Gates) have been able to take time out of your busy schedule to be here with us’.
- Odia version of PM’s ‘Exam Warriors’ released 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Bid to gag media must be protested’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Librarians key to modern education system’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 2 girls die, three others critical of JSpur family 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Lions Club BBSR holds installation festival 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Cong protests over CMC failures 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Woman succumbs to labour pain in absence of doctor 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Jajpur teacher held for raping minor 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Giridih police seize 37 cattle 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- A’garh newlywed dies due to burn injury 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar