- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
UPCC hopes reviving after elevating Rahul as party president
Virtually gasping for survival in the country’s politically most vibrant state, UP Congress Committee (UPCC) sees a hope of reviving the outfit by elevating Rahul Gandhi as the party’s national president. The UPCC unanimously passed a resolution in this regard during a meeting in Lucknow on Thursday afternoon.
State Congress chief Raj Babbar moved the resolution at the meeting of party functionaries including city and district
unit chiefs and newly nominated members of the Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC).
“There is no opposition to Rahul’s elevation as Congress president and hence it was passed unanimously soon after Babbar moved the resolution during the meeting,” said UPCC spokesman Amarnath Agarwal.
This is the first time when Congress leaders from UP have passed any such resolution for promoting the charge to the Congress vice-president.
Agarwal disclosed that in his address to partymen, Babbar said tat it was Congress workers’ duty and everyone would feel proud if a leader who has been a source of inspiration and who gave every worker the strength to fight communal forces was made Congress president.
TheCongress spokesman claimed that besides Babbar, several prominent leaders including Sanjay Singh (MP), Deepak Singh (MLC) also lauded Rahul’s contribution terming him as the ‘messiah of labourers, poors and farmers’.
Agarwal said that the all the leaders claimed that with Sonia Gandhi finding it difficult to contribute enough time to the organisation, it was the right time to elevate Rahul Gandhi to the top post of Congress.
Several other Congress state units like Maharashtra, Goa, Delhi etc, have also passed similar resolutions seeking elevation of Rahul as party chief.
The UPCC resolution will now be fforwarded to All India Congress Committee (AICC) for necessary action. During a recent overseas tour, Rahul while replying to a querry, had consented on becoming the Congress president.
Rahul Gandhi (47) has been Congress vice president since 2013 and has been assisting his 70-year-old mother Sonia Gandhi, who heads the party. Sonia had taken over as Congress chief from Sitaram Kesari in 1998 and is the longest-serving head in the party’s 131-year history.
Several Congress leaders have raised their voices from time to time for making Rahul the party president but they were silenced by their colleagues.
Sources said that Rahul is likely to be crowned as President of AICC during the birth centenary celebrations of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi scheduled in Allahabad on November 19.
- Pranaam Pawas: A poetic event organised to welcome monsoon 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Rudali: A play on women’s struggles staged 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC allows teenager rape victim to abort 26-week foetus 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Citizens plan to approach court if drive diluted 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BJP MLAs & Cong leaders oppose anti-encroachment drive in Premnagar Bazaa 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 155 cm height fixed for women candidates for police posts 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Woman straying away to Bengal returns home 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Hry Govt to begin special transport service for girl students of Mewat, Morni hills 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab CM approves solar energy project in agri fields 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Inbrief 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi