BSP starts constructing Secured Landfills
Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP), the flagship unit of the public sector steel giant SAIL, has taken number of steps in recent years in exploring green technologies and adopting green practices, and the latest of such endeavour is the initiation of the project for Construction of Secured Landfill, a press release claimed on Sunday.
Bhilai Steel Plant formally started the activities this month for the construction of Secured Landfill. A “Bhumi Pujan” was held at the Steel Slag Dump yard, the site selected for the construction of this facility. A K Mathur, ED (Projects), Bhilai Steel Plant performed the traditional Bhumi Pujan.
The Secured Landfill is being built for the safe disposal of hazardous wastes. Presently BSP is either recycling or selling to the authorized recyclers all the hazardous waste generated in its processes as per the latest Hazardous Waste (Management and Handling) Rules notified by Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Govternment of India in the year 2016.
BSP will continue with its present practice in future as well, however, the Landfill will act as buffer for the safe disposal of the wastes in case of any temporary disturbances in recycling or marketing due to unforeseen reasons. The Landfill is being built as per the guidelines of the Central Pollution Control Board with provision for High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) double Liners lay at the bottom of the landfill, which help in preventing the leachate contaminating the ground water.
The Landfill design was also approved by the Chhattisgarh Environment Conservation Board. There are also all the state of the art facilities envisaged in the project for the stabilisation of the waste and monitoring of the air and water environment.
The uniqueness of the facility is that, it is being built on a slag dump yard which will enable BSP in saving the precious virgin land which is precious resource and making use of the waste dump for a productive purpose.
The construction work is being carried-out by M/s Ramky Enviro Engineers Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad, who is pioneers in introducing the best waste management practices in India and have established a number of such facilities in India and also in several other countries.
It is worth mentioning here that, BSP is investing more than 1000 crores towards environment protection under its ongoing Modernization and Expansion Program towards cleaner and greener technologies.
These measures will help Bhilai which is already one of the best in the country in environmental performance to attain global best standards post modernisation.
- Steel sector witnessing positive growth: Narendran 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Saryu underscores challenges on I-Day 17 Aug 2018 | Parvinder Bhatia | in Ranchi
- Tourist Docs hold medical camp in PTR’s Maromar 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Westside opens doors to fashion enthusiasts 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Jharkhand, land of brave people: Guv 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Jharkhand overcame darker days: Raghubar Das 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- New M3 Time EVM rushed at Bokaro 17 Aug 2018 | Ashis Sinha | in Ranchi
- Police recover dead body of Hawildar 17 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Excise Dept seizes foreign liquor, one arrested 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CMD CCL inaugurates digital radiography, dialysis machines 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi