C'garh among six States with more female prisoners in jails
Chhattisgarh, Goa, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Bengal and Delhi had more female prisoners than the capacity of the respective jails as on December 31, 2016.
As per information compiled by National Crime Records Bureau, a total of 18498 female prisoners were lodged in different jails of the country against the available capacity of 26068 as on 31.12.2016. The occupancy may vary on different days during the year.
‘Prisons’ is a State subject. The management and administration of prisons, including provision of adequate health facilities in prisons, primarily falls in the domain of State Governments, it informed.
However, the Ministry of Home Affairs has been providing support and guidance to the States through various advisories issued from time to time and also by sharing recommendations of various Committees, Commissions, Working Groups and Court directions etc. aimed at improving the condition of women prisoners in jails, the Government informed.
As per information compiled by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), 18498 female prisoners were lodged in different jails of the country as on December 31, 2016.
A total of 6328 female prisoners were lodged in central jails of the country as on December 31, 2016.
Information on number of prisoners who are behind bars without hearing of cases is not maintained by NCRB separately, it informed.
- Steel sector witnessing positive growth: Narendran 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Saryu underscores challenges on I-Day 17 Aug 2018 | Parvinder Bhatia | in Ranchi
- Tourist Docs hold medical camp in PTR’s Maromar 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Westside opens doors to fashion enthusiasts 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Jharkhand, land of brave people: Guv 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Jharkhand overcame darker days: Raghubar Das 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- New M3 Time EVM rushed at Bokaro 17 Aug 2018 | Ashis Sinha | in Ranchi
- Police recover dead body of Hawildar 17 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Excise Dept seizes foreign liquor, one arrested 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- CMD CCL inaugurates digital radiography, dialysis machines 17 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi