- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
SC dismisses petition seeking probe against C’garh Govt
The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition by an NGO seeking an investigation into alleged irregularities in the purchase of an AgustaWestland chopper by the Chhattisgarh Government for VIP use in 2006-07. A Bench of justices AK Goel and UU Lalit dismissed the plea by non-governmental organisation Swaraj Abhiyan and others seeking probe into the purchase of the helicopter.
“We do not find any grounds to accept the prayer for probe. The petition is dismissed,” the Bench said. The apex court had on January 31 posed searching questions to the Chhattisgarh government on the purchase of an AgustaWestland helicopter for VIP use in 2006-07 and asked what was the “interest” of Chief Minister Raman Singh’s son, Abhishek Singh, in this.
The petitioners have alleged that in July 2008, a bank account in the name of Abhishek Singh was opened in the British Virgin Islands, and on 1 August, 2008, one of the firms purportedly involved in the deal wound up operations.
They have alleged that there’s a “strong possibility” that money paid as commission in the deal ultimately reached the bank account. The NGO had said a proposal of the State in December 2006 said helicopters firms should be invited to make their representations, but later, no company was called and a tender was issued only for one AgustaWestland chopper.
The court had said it was only concerned as to whether any “fraud or hanky-panky” was committed in securing the deal, and made it clear that it was not questioning the choice of the helicopter.
- KASAULI, DAGSHAI AND SUBATHU: The Quaint Cantonment Hill stations 16 Jul 2018 | Amitabh Shukla | in Chandigarh
- ‘Writing’ to Lord Shiva is Cong’s shallow tactics: Chouhan 16 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Six of debt-ridden family commit suicide in Hazaribag 16 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Stormy monsoon session on cards in Jharkhand 16 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- 2 BSF troopers martyred in gun battle with Maoists 16 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Govt to withdraw SC cases of businessmen on GST: Goyal 16 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Inbrief 16 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Bhopal
- Fashion Designer of the Year Award presented 16 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- MPSSA first to provide int’l-level facilities to players: Vijay Kumar 16 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Several events presented under Uttaradhikar series 16 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal