25 hurt in clash at Nirsa in Dhanbad
At least 25 people including seven cops were injured when a clash erupted between the people of two communities during the ‘Shaurya Diwas’ procession under Nirsa police station in Dhanbad on Wednesday evening.
Locals said that the clash lasted for more than an hour The irked mob ransacked dozens of police vans including PCR van at Uperkulli area near Indira Chowk. The police fired more than 12 shots in the air to bring the situation under control, said an eyewitness.
“Around 3.50 pm Bajrang Dal activists took out a procession observing ‘Shaurya Diwas’ (the 25th anniversary of Babri mosque demolition) under Nirsa Police station.
Suddenly few unsocial elements from another community started pelting stone at the procession near Indira Chowk and later, people from both communities clashed and started pelting stones at each other,” he said.
Terming the situation as “tense but under control”, Senior Superintendent of Police Dhanbad, Manoj Ratan Chothe said, “The police used force to quell the mob. DC Dhanbad Anjaneyulu Dodde alongwith senior police officials, magistrates and others were camping in the area. Enough police forces and para-military forces were deployed to manage the situation.”
Forces were also keeping strict vigils at sensitive areas, he said.
Meanwhile, the injured persons were rushed to the local hospitals where the conditions of eight persons are stated to be serious, hospital sources said. “People who got minor injuries were released after providing first aid,” added the sources.
- Students felicitated for outstanding leadership on I-Day 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- SHEIN celebrates first anniversary 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Former FM’s spouse remembers Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | VISHVENDU JAIPURIAR | in Ranchi
- Adhunik Power pays homage to Vajpayee 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- In brief 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- Man convicted for raping minor girl 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- City girl wins IFTDA polls in Mumbai 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi
- DC: Lohardaga fairs well in special plan implementation 18 Aug 2018 | Vinod Prasad | in Ranchi
- Preparing for ash immersion, Haridwar still nostalgic 18 Aug 2018 | RADHIKA NAGRATH | in Dehradun
- NH-74 scam: IAS lobby flexes muscles, seeks to meet CM 18 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun