Farmer commits suicide after loss of produce in Gumla
In yet another suicide by a farmer in Jharkhand, Buddhu Oraon, 55, of Naktitola under Sisai Police Station in Gumla, allegedly ended his life by jumping into a well near his barn where the entire paddy produce of the season was gutted into fire on Tuesday evening.
Family members claimed that Oraon was quite upset after the entire produce of the family was destroyed in fire and went out of the home early in the morning on Wednesday and never came back.
“Though the farmer committed suicide on Wednesday morning, but his body was found by the family members on Thursday morning. He was said to be upset after the entire produce of the family was destroyed in fire,” said Gumla SP Anshuman Kumar. He was found in a well located near his barn, hardly 100 meters from it, he added.
“The fire broke out in the barn accidently by a small girl playing near it. Before the villagers could get control over it, the entire produce of Buddhu Oraon was been destroyed,” SP said.
As nobody has come forward to lodge complaint against anybody, no any FIR has been lodged so far in this regard, he added
District Administration, asserting the incident, said that immediate relief of Rs 10,000 has been given to the family for cremation along with other assistance provided by the district administration.
“As the village comes under the constituency of Vidhan Sabha Speaker Dinesh Oraon, he also visited the family to condole them and gave a sum of Rs 10000 directing the district administration to provide all compensation, admissible under the provisions of the State Government, immediately” said Gumla DC Shravan Kumar Soy. The District Administration has also provided 200 kg of rice following the incident.
The Assembly Speaker, expressing the grief over the incident ensured that he will raise the matter in the coming Winter Session of the Assembly so that the farmers could get compensation if their produce gets destroyed in fire or by any other reason.
According to an estimate, there was around 11 quintal of paddy produce in the barn which was gutted into fire.
- Odia version of PM’s ‘Exam Warriors’ released 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Bid to gag media must be protested’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- ‘Librarians key to modern education system’ 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- 2 girls die, three others critical of JSpur family 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Lions Club BBSR holds installation festival 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Cong protests over CMC failures 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Woman succumbs to labour pain in absence of doctor 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- Jajpur teacher held for raping minor 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar
- Giridih police seize 37 cattle 14 Aug 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | in Ranchi
- A’garh newlywed dies due to burn injury 14 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Bhubaneswar