State Editions

Lalu out on bail for six weeks

| | Ranchi | in Ranchi

RJD chief Lalu Prasad, lodged in Birsa Munda Central Jail since December 23, after having been convicted in a fodder scam case,

was released on a provisional bail on Wednesday after completing formalities before the CBI Courts.

Lalu was granted provisional bail from the Jharkhand High Court on Friday last on health grounds for getting himself treated in super-specialty hospitals of his choice.

Six bail bonds of Rs 50,000, two for each three cases, were furnished before the different CBI Courts.

The six bailers are RJD spokesperson in Jharkhand Manoj Kumar and party worker from Hazaribagh Bhuneshwar Patel for RC64A/96, former MLA Janardan Paswan and RJD worker Masood Alam for RC38/96 while in RC68A/96, Jharkhand RJD unit president Annapurna Devi and former MLA Sanjay Kumar Singh Yadav furnished bail bonds for Prasad.

“Special CBI Court of Shivpal Singh granted release order to Prasad in two cases — RC 64A/96, related to Chaibasa Treasury and RC 38A/96, related to Dumka Treasury while he was granted release order by the Special CBI Court of S S Prasad in connection with another fodder scam case RC 68A/96, related to Chaibasa Treasury,” said his counsel Prabhat Kumar.

His test report suggests that he has been suffering from a total of 16 diseases like kidney, blood sugar and back pain for which he had pleaded before the High Court to grant him provisional bail on the ground that he was in a critical stage and his life was at risk any moment. Earlier on Monday, the RJD chief returned from a three-day parole granted for his elder son Tej Pratap’s marriage. 

“Lalu Ji will be examined regularly in Patna by expert doctors, including Naveen Kumar, BB Singh and Surendra Kumar Sinha, who were treating him earlier till we get an appointment from Dr Ramakant Panda of Asian Heart Institute in Mumbai,” said Prasad’s close aide and MLA Bhola Yadav. The RJD chief flew directly to Patna by Indigo Airlines at 5:55 pm after being released from there at 3:30 pm.

 Yadav got admitted to RIMS in March and was later referred to AIIMS in New Delhi, from where he was brought back to RIMS on May 1. Since then, he was admitted to RIMS, before leaving for Patna on Thursday on a three-day parole to attend his son’s marriage on May 12.




Sunday Edition

Page generated in 0.3736 seconds.