- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Ranchi records 15.17 pc rise in polling percentage
The efforts of the Ranchi district administration bore fruit as the Ranchi Municipal Corporation’s polling percentage turned out to be 49.3 per cent which is much higher than the previous two civic polls conducted in 2008 and 2013.
According to the previous records – in 2008, 41 per cent polling percentage was recorded here while in 2013 merely 38 per cent voters’ turnout was registered in Ranchi by State Election Commission.
The huge voters’ turnout in evening (after 3 PM) increased the polling percentage, giving rest to all anticipations which was made about voting percentage going down this year again here in Ranchi. State Election Commissioner, NN Pandey during a press meet on Monday said, “Polling at the Capital City was conducted peacefully. No reports of serious mismanagement of law and order were reported from any ward of State’s Biggest Urban Local Body (ULB).”
Pandey condemned the reports of influencing or managing polling parties at wards 34 and 35 here in Ranchi. “The quick response team reported that the reports of managing polling parties at a few wards were baseless. Problems at ward 25, 26, 32 and 47 including technical default of Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) were also addressed on time by the experts. Arrangements was satisfactory at all the level here in Ranchi.”
Notably for the first time several new initiatives were taken up to encourage voters and increase the polling percentage.
For the first time, district administration has taken up the initiative to felicitate the enthusiastic voters (both males and females) who were the first one to cast their votes at the respective polling centers. The unique initiative to felicitate voters’ by Ranchi District Administration gained applause of Election Commission of India (ECI) as well. Also, the massive awareness drive of District Election Office gained fruitful results.
Also for the first time the civic election- 2018 was organized on party basis for Mayoral and Deputy Mayoral aspirants. EVMs were also used for the first time in municipal poll.
Appreciating the enthusiasm level of public, Deputy Mayoral candidate of Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) Sanjiv Vijayawargia said, “People have not just voted but have strengthened the ULB shattering all myths that urban voters do not take interest in voting in civic poll. I congratulate each voter of Ranchi for registering their presence in municipal election.”
Amid hassle and complaints of polling booth relocation, the enthusiasm level of general public to strengthen grass-root democracy was high. The State Election Commissioner said that he too had to face problem in finding the polling center where his name was enlisted. Also, Pandey added that his name was registered in different booth while his son’s name was at other voters’ list.
- Pranaam Pawas: A poetic event organised to welcome monsoon 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Rudali: A play on women’s struggles staged 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- HC allows teenager rape victim to abort 26-week foetus 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Raipur
- Citizens plan to approach court if drive diluted 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- BJP MLAs & Cong leaders oppose anti-encroachment drive in Premnagar Bazaa 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Dehradun
- 155 cm height fixed for women candidates for police posts 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Woman straying away to Bengal returns home 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Bhopal
- Hry Govt to begin special transport service for girl students of Mewat, Morni hills 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Punjab CM approves solar energy project in agri fields 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Chandigarh
- Inbrief 17 Jul 2018 | PNS | in Ranchi