- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
3 killed by suspected cow smugglers in Meghalaya
Three persons, including a village headman, were killed and three others seriously injured after a group of suspected cow smugglers attacked them near the Bangladesh border in Meghalaya’s West Jaintia Hills district, police said on Saturday.
The incident occurred at around 2.30 pm on Friday when the six were returning to their village Amlani after attending an official meeting at Amlarem, a sub-divisional town in the district, the police said.
The six were stopped at a place near Trangblang village and attacked by the suspected cow smugglers, a police officer said.
While the village headman, the village secretary and another member of the village were killed on the spot, three others, who received serious injuries, were rescued and admitted to the Jowai Civil Hospital, the Superintendent of Police (SP) of West Jaintia Hills district, Vivek Syiem, told PTI.
Initially, the main accused, his brother and their cousin were arrested, the SP said, adding, later, the police arrested three others, includinganother brother of the main accused.
According to villagers, the headman and other villagers, earlier this week, had apprehended the main accused when he was trying tosmuggle cattle to Bangladesh.
He was assaulted by the villagers and the police had to rescue him,a police officer said.
An FIR was lodged against the village headman and others on Wednesday,the officer said.
- My father lived, died for India, says Rahul 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- 7 missing after boat capsises in Andhra river 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- INS Tarangini sets sail for Tall Ships Races in UK 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Sushma arrives in Bahrain for second joint commission meet 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rajnath, Sheikh Hasina discuss bilateral issues 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Globe Trotting 15 Jul 2018 | Agencies | in Sunday Pioneer
- UN: Deadly Algerian migrant expulsions resume in desert 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Syria rebels surrender heavy arms in Daraa city 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Honduras identifies 459 kids separated from families in US 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Iran continuing relations with world despite US, says Rouhani 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...