Mistress of sweet trade
Chef Eureka Araujo, from Academy of Pastry Arts, talks to Sangeeta Yadav about winning the Pastry Queen India contest of 2017 and how she is an inspiring female patisserie
After winning the title of Pastry Queen India 2017, how are you preparing for the Ladies World Pastry Championship at Italy?
I will be undergoing intensive training under Master Pastry Chefs in Indian and at Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia to hone my skills. Winning this competition was the turning point in my life. It was always been a dream.
What was the theme?
The theme was astrology and I picked up the Scorpio sunsign to make my pastry artwork. I made Glass dessert designed in The Astral Loop which tastes crunchy salted streusel served along with a creamy citrus mandarin creameux. The Mini Pastry Finger Ring was a rose and raspberry ganache with a light, acidic champagne jelly. The chocolate cake had crispy streusel base is a moist delicious chocolate almond sponge. The dessert is layered with a layer of earl grey ganache with the essence of bergamot, a rich and creamy mascarpone almond cream. It is encassed in a well balanced creamy chocolate mousse glazed to perfection with a chocolate glaze. The tart was made with crisp sugar almond crust filled with a rich and nutty pistachio cream.
What was the most difficult thing?
The sugar showpiece which I made. It was huge scorpion standing tall. We have to mould the sugar into a showpiece when it is piping hot and that is not easy to do. We need a lot of practice to get sugar showpiece right.
What prompted you to specialise as a Pastry Chef?
It has been in my blood. No one in my family is a chef but my mom used to always love baking and I also developed the passion for baking. When I passed out my Class XII, I opted for Hotel Management course at Institute of Hotel Management, Goa, wherein I won a few awards in pastry and cake making. That pushed me to go further and become a patisserie.
Why Academy of Pastry Chef?
My passion got me here. When I stepped inside, it was like The Chocolate Factor with all the best equipments to bake and learning from the master chefs. I saw my future here. The chef also recognised my passion and he gave me the option to work here. I look up to Chef Antonio Bachour and Chef Margaret Ambrose-Barton, they are highly talented. There are many others under whom I have got training.
How is the pastry art evolving?
From normal chocolate truffle cakes to blazing cakes and string cakes in different shapes, sizes and designs and garnishing. Everything has become creative and requires finesse. We are getting master chefs from abroad to learn new techniques and innovations. People used to look down upon a chef but now they are getting inspired by us.
One thing you would like to change?
A lot of people are opening home baking units as they find it a comfortable and easier way of making a living. Very few actually aspire to become professional chefs which should be the case.
- Dabholkar murder case: Sharpshooter in CBI net 19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- States along Western Ghats have ignored Madhav Gadgil’s warning 19 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
- 6 die in K’taka floods, Cauvery above danger mark 19 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
- PM Modi to visit Guj on Wed 19 Aug 2018 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- Vajpayee’s ashes to be immersed in Haridwar today 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- 3 terrorists killed near LoC in Kupwara’s Tangdhar sector 19 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani | in Sunday Pioneer
- Scanty snowfall may fuel LoC infiltration 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Saudi Arabia tests Japan-inspired ‘nap pods’ for hajj 19 Aug 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Taiwan improves missiles to counter China military expansion 19 Aug 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Turkey’s Prez says country will defy economic threats 19 Aug 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...