Crop loss: Odisha farmers file case against IMD
Farmers of Khariar block in Nuapada district represented by Sanjay Tiwari have lodged an FIR at the Khariar police station against Dr KJ Ramesh, Director General of Meteorology, India Meteorological Department (IMD), Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India, on Friday.
The farmers have stated in the FIR that they started early agricultural operations during the current kharif season (2017-18) believing in the IMD prediction that the monsoon would arrive early and the rainfall would be good. Unfortunately, crops in most of the lands have been damaged due to lack of rain.
“One of the worst droughts of the decade is looming large in the area. We have faced huge loss because of the false prediction of the IMD. We should be compensated for the loss by the IMD,” said the farmers to the Press after filing the FIR.
There is a huge shortfall in actual rainfall in June and July in Khariar, Boden, Sinapali and Komna blocks of Nuapada district. Crops have started drying due to water stress. This would be the third consecutive year of drought for the people of the district.
“The calculations of the IMD were unscientific. They have speculated like laymen and pushed us to face huge loss. Most of the farmers in the district have not been able to insure their crops during the current kharif season as there was problem of internet for about a week in the last part of July. The worst day for us is looming ahead,” they added.
The police have, however, not yet given a copy of the FIR to the complainants. It was learnt that local police officials would decide about the matter after consultations with their higher authorities.
- My father lived, died for India, says Rahul 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- 7 missing after boat capsises in Andhra river 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- INS Tarangini sets sail for Tall Ships Races in UK 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Sushma arrives in Bahrain for second joint commission meet 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rajnath, Sheikh Hasina discuss bilateral issues 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Globe Trotting 15 Jul 2018 | Agencies | in Sunday Pioneer
- UN: Deadly Algerian migrant expulsions resume in desert 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Syria rebels surrender heavy arms in Daraa city 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Honduras identifies 459 kids separated from families in US 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Iran continuing relations with world despite US, says Rouhani 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...