CRPF man killed in J&K gunfight with terrorists
A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel was killed during a gunfight with terrorist who managed to escape from the site of encounter in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Saturday. Police said the operation was called off to avoid collateral damage.
Official sources said the encounter triggered off past midnight in Chinarbagh village near Takiya Bargam in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district after a joint team of Rashtriya Rifles, counterinsurgency police and CRPF cordoned off the village following information on presence of terrorists in a residential house.
Terrorists hiding in the area opened fire on troops injuring a CRPF man Mandeep Kumar. He was immediately evacuated to 92 base hospital in Srinagar but was declared dead on arrival. During the exchange of fire two residential houses were damaged and a civilian Bashir Ahmad received firearm injury in his arm. He was taken to Pulwama hospital for treatment. Sources said a large number of locals attempted to disrupt the operation. During the process, besieged militants escaped from the village taking advantage of darkness.
“There was possibility of collateral damage as such we had to call off the operation. The militants took advantage of the darkness and fled,” SSP Pulwama Aslam Chowdhary said.
Meanwhile, an official spokesman said that Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti spoke her Delhi counterpart Arvind Kejriwal and asked him to take steps for ensuring safety of the people from Jammu and Kashmir residing in the national capital due to various reasons. The call was made in the backdrop of reports that a Kashmiri Muslim family was beaten up and harassed by their neighbours in a Delhi locality for a trivial reason. Slogans were shouted against Kashmiris and they were warned to pack up their bags.
Ms Mufti asked Kejriwal to ensure and maintain the confidence and safety of students, businessmen, employees, particularly women from the State, so that they don’t feel inconvenienced during their stay in the national capital.
- Dabholkar murder case: Sharpshooter in CBI net 19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- States along Western Ghats have ignored Madhav Gadgil’s warning 19 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
- 6 die in K’taka floods, Cauvery above danger mark 19 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
- PM Modi to visit Guj on Wed 19 Aug 2018 | Nayan Dave | in Sunday Pioneer
- Vajpayee’s ashes to be immersed in Haridwar today 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- 3 terrorists killed near LoC in Kupwara’s Tangdhar sector 19 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani | in Sunday Pioneer
- Scanty snowfall may fuel LoC infiltration 19 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Saudi Arabia tests Japan-inspired ‘nap pods’ for hajj 19 Aug 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Taiwan improves missiles to counter China military expansion 19 Aug 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Turkey’s Prez says country will defy economic threats 19 Aug 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...