I-T dept seizes Rs 85 crore cash, bullion from illegal Delhi vault
A total of Rs 85.2 crore in cash, bullion and jewellery have been seized by the Income Tax Department after it searched a private vault in Delhi as part of its anti-black money drive.
A fresh seizure of over
Rs 23 crore in gold jewellery, biscuits, precious stones and cash was made on Friday by the sleuths of the investigation wing from the vault, official sources said.
Assets worth more than Rs 61 crore were seized by the department over the week from multiple lockers located in the private vault in the South Extension area of Delhi.
Sources privy to the operation said out of the total Rs 85.2 crore stash seized,
Rs 8 crore is in cash (mostly Rs 2000 notes) while the rest is bullion, jewellery, diamonds and other precious stones.
The assets allegedly belong to some high networth (HNIs) individuals from Delhi like a builder, a gutkha trader and some businessmen based in the national Capital.
They said that the department has initiated proceedings for tax evasion and under the benami assets law against the illegal vault holders.
“The case pertains to black money detected post demonetisation and some others being probed under the new anti-benami law.
“The lockers have been opened now and unaccounted assets seized,” a senior official said.
The assesses did not allegedly declare these assets to the taxman and concealed them in these vaults.
Private lockers or vaults, that operate like normal bank lockers, are illegal and not recognised under the law.
- My father lived, died for India, says Rahul 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- 7 missing after boat capsises in Andhra river 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- INS Tarangini sets sail for Tall Ships Races in UK 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Sushma arrives in Bahrain for second joint commission meet 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rajnath, Sheikh Hasina discuss bilateral issues 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Globe Trotting 15 Jul 2018 | Agencies | in Sunday Pioneer
- UN: Deadly Algerian migrant expulsions resume in desert 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Syria rebels surrender heavy arms in Daraa city 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Honduras identifies 459 kids separated from families in US 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Iran continuing relations with world despite US, says Rouhani 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...