×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

Sunday Edition

Two among 4 judges downplay SC crisis

| | New Delhi/Kolkata/Kochi | in Sunday Pioneer

A day after their Press conference generated a serious crisis within the top seat of judiciary in the country, two among the four seniormost judges who addressed the presser, indicated on Saturday that there was no crisis as is being made out. One even said that the issue flagged by them was not directed individually against Chief Justice of India (CJI) but meant to preserve the integrity of the institution and a resolution will fall in place when the issue gets corrected.

Talking to the media on the sidelines of the Eastern Regional Meet of the State Legal Services Authorities held at Kolkata, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, who is also the Executive Chairman of National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) dismissed suggestions of there being a crisis. “There is no crisis,” he said. He refused to take a question on whether their action had violated judicial discipline, as he left to catch a flight to Lucknow.

In Kochi, mediapersons met with Justice Kurian Joseph on the sidelines of the silver jubilee celebrations of the Major Achiepiscopal status of the Syro-Malabar Church at Kakkanad. Playing down the situation that a crisis had emerged in the judiciary, Justice Joseph said, “An issue was raised. Those concerned have listened to it. Such actions would not occur in future. So (I) believe that the issue has been settled.”

He said the purpose of the presser was to bring the matter to the attention of the CJI and felt no need for any outside intervention to resolve the issue as “necessary steps would be taken by the institution itself to sort it out”.

Going to the President was out of question as the latter has no constitutional responsibility over the judges of the apex court. Moreover, CJI did not commit any constitutional lapse, he said, adding that the convention, practice and procedure ought to be followed by him in discharging his responsibility.

When asked about the way forward, the judge said, “As you suggested it was a step for correction. We stood up for justice and judiciary...nothing beyond that…The issue will end with the correction taking place.”

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

STATE EDITIONS

View All

Demolition continues, encroachment in gated colonies to be razed too

19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun

The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...

Read More

Page generated in 0.3122 seconds.