Why was spl messenger sent to residence of CJI? Congress asks PM
The Congress on Saturday sought explanation from Prime Minister Narendra Modi as to why a “special messenger” was sent to the residence of Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, which has come at the backdrop of four Supreme Court judges voicing their opinion against the functioning of the highest judicial authority.
Congress was reacting to the visit of PM's Principal Secretary Nripendra Misra to the CJI's residence. However, according to the visuals aired by news channels, the gates of CJI's residence were not opened and after waiting for a while, Misra left.
“As PM's Principal Secretary, Nripendra Misra visits CJI's residence at 5, Krishna Menon Marg; PM must answer the reason for sending this special messenger to Chief Justice of India,” Congress's chief spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said.
Terming the concerns raised by the four judges as “unprecedented and sensitive”, the Congress has already demanded a probe into the issues flagged. On the other hand, the BJP had charged the Congress with “politicising the internal matters” of the judiciary.
The PM's principal secretary clarified that he had gone to the CJI's house to wish him New Year and congratulate him on shifting into the new house. However, he could not meet the Chief Justice since the latter was doing his puja.
- My father lived, died for India, says Rahul 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- 7 missing after boat capsises in Andhra river 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- INS Tarangini sets sail for Tall Ships Races in UK 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Sushma arrives in Bahrain for second joint commission meet 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rajnath, Sheikh Hasina discuss bilateral issues 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Globe Trotting 15 Jul 2018 | Agencies | in Sunday Pioneer
- UN: Deadly Algerian migrant expulsions resume in desert 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Syria rebels surrender heavy arms in Daraa city 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Honduras identifies 459 kids separated from families in US 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Iran continuing relations with world despite US, says Rouhani 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...