Govt asks 4 mints to resume coin production albeit at slower pace
The Government has gone back on its decision to halt production of coins entirely and has asked all the four mints in the country to restart production, albeit at a slower pace, industry sources said on Saturday.
The Govt has directed the state-run Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Limited (SPMCIL), which runs the four Government mints in Kolkata, Mumbai, Noida and Hyderabad, to work on single shift, instead of the usual two, and keep minting coins of different denominations.
“We have started minting of coins from Friday. We have been asked to produce coins of all denominations,” Bijan Dey, Vice-President, Calcutta Mint Employees Association, told PTI.
The official said that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had given an indent of 7,712 million coin pieces to the government mints for 2017-18 of which 5,900 million units have already been produced. The mints are expected to meet the target in the remaining two-and-a-half months of the current fiscal.
The RBI picks up the coins and banknotes from the mints for distribution in the market. The Govt had halted coin production from January 9 owing to a glut in the market and lack of storage space. In an order dated January 9, it had asked SPMCIL to stop production of circulation coins with immediate effect and urged the mints to follow normal working hours ‘without any overtime for staff’ for printing of banknotes only.
- Iran’s Khamenei: ‘Negotiations with US useless’ 22 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- France, Russia send humanitarian aid to Syria for Ghouta victims 22 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- CIA: China is waging a ‘quiet kind of cold war’ against US 22 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Germany drops sanctions on Turkey, relaxes travel advice 22 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Keep sanctions on N Korea: US to UN 22 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- ISI pressuring judiciary to get favourable verdicts: Pak judge 22 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Zim Prez assures white farmers their land is safe 22 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Trump: ‘Perhaps illegal’ for lawyer to tape client 22 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Bihar to grant reservation in promotions to SCs/STs 22 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Stalin blasts AIADMK for supporting NDA Govt 22 Jul 2018 | Kumar Chellappan | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Pioneer News Service | Lucknow
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday targeted the entire opposition, questioning the motive behind the no-confidence motion moved by the opposition in the Lok Sabha. Addressing a Kisan Kalyan Rally in Shahjahanpur on Saturday afternoon, Modi said the people of the country trusted him and his government but some political parties did not...