Niti seeks comments in medical devices
With a view to achieve the overall goal of affordable ‘healthcare for all’, government think tank Niti Aayog today sought suggestions for rationalisation of trade margins in medical devices.
The Aayog in a concept note titled ‘Rationalisation of Trade Margins in Medical Devices – A Concept Note’ said the Government intends to make available critical and lifesaving medical devices to the needy masses at affordable prices. “The aim is to ensure reasonable prices to consumers and at the same time allow reasonable profits to all stakeholders in the medical device industry, including those involved in the supply – chain by rationalising trade margins and thereby passing the benefits of the reduced cost to the final consumer,” the note added.
The trade margin is the difference between the price at which he manufactu-rers/importers sell to trade (price to trade) and the price to patients (maximum retail price).
The note pointed out that the issue of unreasonably high trade margins in medical devices has been adversely affecting both the industry as well as consumer interest.
“Various representations regarding rationalisation of trade margins on medical devices from industry/trade associations/indigenous manufacturers/importers have also been received.
The Government has had stakeholders consultations on this subject beginning from October 2017 to ascertain their view points,” the note said.
According to the note, Only 23 medical devices have been notified as drugs and are regulated under Drugs and Cosmetics Act, of these, only 4 devices viz. Cardiac stents, drug eluting stents, condoms and intra uterine devices are included in the national list of essential medicines and by virtue thereof are subject to notified price ceilings.
- K’taka CM plants paddy saplings in solidarity with agriculturists 12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | in Sunday Pioneer
- Vibrant Gujarat Summit to be held with theme ‘Shaping A New India’ from Jan 18 to 20 12 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Hardik Patel, two Cong MLAs detained before taking ‘Jal Samadhi’ 12 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rain subsides but situation still serious in Kerala 12 Aug 2018 | VR Jayaraj | in Sunday Pioneer
- Brajesh’s son detained, CBI orders fresh digging 12 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
- Jammu will take up arms if Art 35-A revoked: BJP MLA 12 Aug 2018 | Mohit Kandhari | in Sunday Pioneer
- Modi: Society that doesn’t innovate will stagnate 12 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | in Sunday Pioneer
- RaGa denied permission to visit Osmania 12 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rajnath slams Rahul’s ‘chipko abhiyan’ in LS 12 Aug 2018 | Biswajeet Banerjee/ Prakash Arya | in Sunday Pioneer
- Delhi statehood: AAP’s Gopal Rai seeks appointment with PM Modi 12 Aug 2018 | PNS | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Aug 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
Governor Prof Ganeshi Lal released Odia version of ‘Exam Warriors’, written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, here on Monday. Releasing the book, the Governor said a common child can build self a superman by strong commitment and will power...