India may raise with Washington use of US missiles by Pakistan
India is likely to raise with the Trump administration the use of US-made anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs) by Pakistan Army to target Indian troops along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, Defence Ministry sources indicated on Saturday.
The Pakistan Army had used the ATMGs during heavy shelling on an Indian Army team along the LoC in Rajouri district of J-K last Sunday in which four army men including a captain were killed, the sources said.
Army sources had said that the Pakistan Army used 120mm mortars and the ATGMs in the Rajouri attack, adding usually Pakistan uses 80mm mortars to target Indian posts along the LoC.
The security establishment here is understood to have been concerned over use of US-made ATGMs by Pakistan considering the expanding Indo-US strategic ties.
“We are going to raise the issue with them (the US)”, said a source.
The defence and security ties between India and the US have been on an upswing. In June 2016, the US had designated India a “Major Defence Partner” intending to elevate defence trade and technology sharing with India to a level commensurate with that of its closest allies and partners.
The Army last week had clearly indicated that it would take retaliatory action against the killing of four army men.
The sources said that Pakistan has been escalating the hostilities along the LoC and in hinterland in J-K to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of panchayat polls in the State.
- A legacy of conflict 19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan | in Agenda
- The death of Indian TV 19 Aug 2018 | UMANG AGGARWAL | in Agenda
- Rescuing the story of Kashmir 19 Aug 2018 | UMANG AGGARWAL | in Agenda
- Caustically engaging 19 Aug 2018 | JIGYASA HASIJA | in Agenda
- Oddly enough 19 Aug 2018 | Pioneer | in Agenda
- Culture Lane 19 Aug 2018 | Pioneer | in Agenda
- teaching a billion people 19 Aug 2018 | Miniya Chatterji | in Agenda
- Onus on civic agencies to remove road debris: PWD 19 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | in Sunday Pioneer
- Sidhu under Opp fire for Pak visit 19 Aug 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- AIMIM corporator who opposed motion on Vajapyee arrested 19 Aug 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Aug 2018 | Parvinder Bhatia | Jamshedpur
Bhojpuri singer turned BJP leader Manoj Tiwari, who is also a Member of Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture on Tuesday promised that he will take up the issue of poor NH 33 stretch with Union Road Transport, Highways Ministry. Addressing a press meet he said that apart from being Delhi BJP State president he is also a member of standing committee he is aware of the present plight...