TN Bar Council prohibits 742 advocates from practicing
The Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry has prohibited 742 lawyers from practising law, pending disposal of showcause notices to be issued against them.
All these lawyers had pursued legal education based on degrees obtained through the open university system, the Bar council said.
A communication issued by the council's secretary C Raja Kumar said the special committee of the council had passed a resolution to this effect at its meeting held on November 9.
The decision was made as the enrolment of 742 advocates was against Rule 5 of the Legal Education Rules, 2008 and in light of the order passed by the Madras High Court on October 25, it said.
The communication clarified that advocates against whom the resolution has been passed, are prohibited from practising in any court of law or before any judicial or quasi-judicial forum, pending disposal of the showcause notice to be issued against them.
The Madras High Court had last month directed the Tamil Nadu Bar Council and the Advocate General (AG) to cancel the membership of over 700 lawyers, who had enrolled as advocates after getting law degrees based on MA degrees of open universities.
- My father lived, died for India, says Rahul 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- 7 missing after boat capsises in Andhra river 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- INS Tarangini sets sail for Tall Ships Races in UK 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Sushma arrives in Bahrain for second joint commission meet 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Rajnath, Sheikh Hasina discuss bilateral issues 15 Jul 2018 | PTI | in Sunday Pioneer
- Globe Trotting 15 Jul 2018 | Agencies | in Sunday Pioneer
- UN: Deadly Algerian migrant expulsions resume in desert 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Syria rebels surrender heavy arms in Daraa city 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Honduras identifies 459 kids separated from families in US 15 Jul 2018 | AFP | in Sunday Pioneer
- Iran continuing relations with world despite US, says Rouhani 15 Jul 2018 | AP | in Sunday Pioneer
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...