26 killed in UP
As many as 26 people were killed due to dust storms and lightning in different parts of Uttar Pradesh, an official spokesperson said on Saturday.
Dust storms and lightning hit places in 11 districts of the State last night resulting in the death of 26 people, he said. While five deaths each were reported from Jaunpur and Sultanpur, four died in Unnao, three each died in Chandauli and Bahraich, two in Rae Bareli and one each in Mirzapur, Sitapur, Amethi and Pratapgarh, the spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has directed the District Magistrates of the affected areas to immediately provide compensation to families of those killed and said no laxity will be tolerated.
Expressing grief over the deaths, the Chief Minister said the State Government will extend all possible help to those hit by dust storms and related incidents.
The weather office has warned that thunderstorm, accompanied by gusty winds, are "very likely" at isolated places in the state tomorrow. Eighty people were killed when a dust storm struck several parts of UP on May 2-3. Most of the deaths had occurred in Agra district.
At least 18 people lost their lives in a thunderstorm that hit several places in the State on May 9 and 10. Fifty-one people died in similar incidents on May 14.
- Rupee sinks to 70/$ in a first, Govt dispels fear 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cosmos Cooperative Bank loses Rs 94 cr in cyber heist 15 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Sonia sees I-T Dept plot in Herald-Young Indian deal 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Polls at one go not possible: EC 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- 300 Armymen move SC against AFSPA dilution 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Google tracks you without your nod 14 Aug 2018 | AP
- Family rejects CPM request to drape body with party flag 14 Aug 2018 | IANS
- LS martinet Somnath Chatterjee leaves a legacy 14 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Colour-coded stickers to curb vehicular pollution 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Umar Khalid shot at; row erupts over claim 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...