- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
HC upholds life in prison for Danish woman’s gangrapists
The Delhi High Court on Monday upheld the sentence of life imprisonment till death awarded to five convicts for gangraping a 52-year-old Danish woman in Delhi in 2014. Saying that the most important scientific and clinching piece of evidence, the DNA report, has proven their guilt, the Bench of Justices S Muralidhar and IS Mehta dismissed the appeal of the convicts challenging the quantum of sentence.
“In view of the victim’s evidence, corroborated by the DNA report, this court his satisfied that the conclusion of the trial court on the guilt of the accused is correct. Accordingly, the appeals are dismissed,” the HC said.
The HC, however, pulled up the investigating officer (IO) of the case for not conducting a proper investigation.
The HC rejected the testimony of an eyewitness who claimed to have seen the accused committing the crime.
- National database for gun licence holders, unique ID from next yr 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Air hostess’ husband arrested for dowry death 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Days after SC’s Taj rap, Centre to close polluting factories in Agra 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Delhi’s Airport Exp Line to get 36 new coaches 17 Jul 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- States go under as monsoon rains woes 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- 91 hurt as tent caves in at PM Midnapore rally 17 Jul 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Opp plans House strategy 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- No claimants for India-linked dormant Swiss bank accounts! 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Reignited black beauties to tell story of India 16 Jul 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- Won’t allow any terror activities against India: Bangladesh 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...