Indian detained, TV channel blacked out
Two foreign journalists, including an Indian national, have been detained in the Maldives for working in the country in violation of its immigration rules, the Maldivian police said on Friday amid political turmoil in the island nation.
“Two journalists (a British national and an Indian national) have been handed over to @ImmigrationMV to take action against them for working in the Maldives against the Immigration Act and Regu-lations,” the Maldives Police tweeted, without naming them.
The action against the two journalists came as a privately-owned television station in the Maldives went off the air.
Rajje TV, which highlights views of the Opposition, said it stopped broadcasting because the country’s environment does not allow journalists to report freely and independently. “The broadcaster received threats from Government legislators and others,” said Opposition lawmaker Eva Abdulla.
- A Colossus moves on 17 Aug 2018 | Chandan Mitra
- Atal’s mortal remains to be consigned to flames at 4pm 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Kerala’s plight worsens, 30 more die in monsoon rage 17 Aug 2018 | PNS/PTI
- A titan’s journey ends 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Water guzzler plants suck several States dry 16 Aug 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- Capable of holding LS, 4 Assembly polls by year-end, says CEC 16 Aug 2018 | PNS
- CJI breaks silence on 4 rebel judges’ complaint 16 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Law panel to put up legal framework for ‘one nation, one poll’ 16 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Vajpayee’s condition critical, on life-support system: AIIMS 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- I am impatient agent of change: PM 16 Aug 2018 | SUGANDHA
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | PNS | Jamshedpur
Tata Steel celebrated Nation’s 72nd Independence Day with patriotic fervour at its Jamshedpur Works and across its locations. The celebrations began with TV Narendran, CEO& Managing Director Tata Steel, hoisting the tricolor, which was followed by a ceremonial march past and the National Anthem...