- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
JD(U) replaces rebellious Sharad with Nitish’s man
The Janata Dal (U) on Saturday removed Sharad Yadav as its leader in the Rajya Sabha for “anti-party activities” and installed RCP Singh, a trusted lieutenant of party chief Nitish Kumar in his place.
The move to oust the veteran, outspoken and now rebel leader is against the backdrop of Yadav going public opposing the JD(U)’s decision to snap ties with the mahagathbandhan and ally with the BJP.
RCP Singh is a former IAS officer of UP cadre who resigned to join politics seven years ago. This is Singh’s second term in the Rajya Sabha.
Bihar JD(U) president Bashistha Narain Singh and party’s MPs met Chairman of the Rajya Sabha Venkaiah Naidu and handed him a letter appointing Singh as the leader of the JD(U) in the Upper House. Party officials said that Sharad, who was on a three-day tour of Bihar, was removed from the post due to his “anti-party activities”.
Differences between Nitish and Sharad surfaced after the former snapped ties with the Congress and the RJD, and allied with the BJP to form a new Government in Bihar last month. Sharad has opposed the party’s decision to ally with BJP, which has not gone down well with Nitish.
With this decision, the party has practically shown the door to its former president Sharad, who during his Bihar tour bitterly criticised Nitish saying the CM is only heading the “Sarkari” JD(U) while he himself was with the real JD(U) and in the grand alliance with the RJD and the Congress.
This was enough indication of his rebellion against Nitish but Yadav failed to garner enough support in the party and throughout his tour he was escorted by leaders and workers of the RJD.
When asked about his removal as leader of the Parliamentary Party, Yadav did not offer any comments. It is expected that Yadav is likely to chart out his course of action after his return to Delhi. His supporter and rebel Rajya Sabha MP Ali Anwar has already been suspended from the Parliamentary Party. Nitish had earlier indicated that Yadav was free to take his decisions following his rebellion against him. The JD(U) has 10 members in the Upper House including Sharad and Anwar.
- Upset over minor’s plight, lawyers thrash rapists in court 18 Jul 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Delhi air hostess suicide: Hubby sent to judicial custody 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- TN I-T raids yield Rs 200 cr cash, 100 kg gold 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Agnivesh assaulted in Jharkhand, probe on 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC condemns lynchings, asks Centre to frame separate law 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Mayawati boots out key aide for anti-RaGa rant 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- BJP seeks Rahul support to pass triple talaq, nikah halala Bills 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- PM reaches out to Opp on session eve 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- National database for gun licence holders, unique ID from next yr 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Air hostess’ husband arrested for dowry death 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Jamshedpur
Marwari community of the steel city has demanded a CBI probe into suspected suicide taken place into the Agarwal family of Hazaribagh that found six members dead on Sunday. A delegation of the community led by Suresh Sonathalia, former president of Singhbhum Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Nirmal Kabra handed over a memorandum to the Deputy Commissioner in this regard and demanded CBI probe from the State Government...