Kanwariyas run amok, vandalise police van in UP
As the kanwariya yatra began winding up on Thursday, a video surfaced showing a group of people, some of them apparently pilgrims, smashing a police vehicle in Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh, on Wednesday, police said on Thursday. Bareilly (Rural) SP Satish Kumar said an FIR has been registered.
A video of the incident shows around 50-60 kanwarias smashing windows of the police vehicle in the Bugrasi Narsena police station area of Bulandshahr. A police officer is seen trying to control the crowd. Kumar said a crowd had assembled on the Kanwariya route following an incident of eve-teasing that led to a quarrel between two families. A police van which reached the spot bore the brunt of the anger, he said.
“There was a clash between a person identified as Pappu, who lives in the locality at his maternal uncle’s place, and another group over personal enmity. In the clash, he called his kanwariya friends to help him out. As soon as a police team reached the spot, they all attacked the vehicle as well the policemen,” said Bugrasi Narsena SHO Anil Kumar.
Every year, thousands of devotees of Lord Shiva take up the kanwar pilgrimage, walking from their homes in various States to Haridwar and Gangotri to fetch pots filled with water from the river Ganga. The water is then offered at their local Shiva shrines on Maha Shivaratri. Over the last few days, travellers have complained of huge traffic disruptions by the Kanwariyas, who are seen walking in large groups or riding two-wheelers and trucks, ignoring traffic rules and sometimes wielding hockey sticks.
On Tuesday, a video had surfaced showing a group of kanwariyas vandalising a car in Delhi after the vehicle had accidentally brushed past a kanwariya.
- Assam bridge to open on Atal’s birth anniv to pay him homage 18 Aug 2018 | Deepak Kumar Jha
- Daughter Namita lights Atal’s pyre 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- 100 more die in Kerala’s worst flood in 100 yrs 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Lautkar aunga, kooch se kyun darun? 18 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- A Colossus moves on 17 Aug 2018 | Chandan Mitra
- Atal’s mortal remains to be consigned to flames at 4pm 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Kerala’s plight worsens, 30 more die in monsoon rage 17 Aug 2018 | PNS/PTI
- A titan’s journey ends 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Water guzzler plants suck several States dry 16 Aug 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- Capable of holding LS, 4 Assembly polls by year-end, says CEC 16 Aug 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2018 | PNS | lOHARDAGA
Four ministers of School Children’s Parliament of Govt Middle school Narauli were felicitated for their outstanding leadership and excellent services in school management on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day. After the flag hoisting programme President Ramdayal Oraon, Prime Minister Sheela Oraon, Education Minister Anjali Oraon and Nutrition Minister Chandmuni Oraon were given certificate of appreciation and Oxford English Grammar book as prize...