- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Opp bays for CM, Health Min’s scalp
The Opposition on Saturday launched a scathing attack on the Yogi Adityanath Government for the death of 30 children at a State-run hospital in Gorakhpur and demanded the resignation of the Chief Minister and Health Minister Siddharth Nath Singh besides a high-level enquiry into the incident.
Former UP Chief Minister and Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav accused the BJP dispensation of hiding facts on the matter. “The Government is not revealing the truth. Therefore, a delegation from SP will visit BRD Medical College Hospital to take stock of the situation and inform the Government and party,” Yadav said. An SP delegation later visited the hospital.
Another former Chief Minister and BSP supremo Mayawati also announced to send a delegation. “No amount of criticism of the BJP Government is enough after this horrific incident. I have constituted a three-member team who will take stock of the situation at the hospital and will update me on the current situation,” Mayawati said.
The Congress held the BJP Government in UP “responsible” and demanded the resignation of the Chief Minister and the Health Minister after a party delegation led by senior leader Ghulam Nabi Azad visited the hospital.
Azad, who visited the hospital along with party colleagues, expressed deep anguish over the deaths, allegedly due to shortage of supply of oxygen.
Azad said, “This incident took place due to the laxity on the part of the State Government. We hold the State Government responsible for it. The Health Minister and the Health Secretary must immediately tender resignation. The doctors should not be blamed for this and the suspension of the medical college principal is just eyewash.”
Congress spokesperson Manish Tiwari said the CM and the Health Minister should resign taking “moral responsibility” for the deaths.
Taking a swipe at the State Health Minister, Tewari tweeted, “UP Health Minister only seeks votes in Lal Bahadur Shastri ji’s name — he doesn’t follow Shastri ji’s high morals in politics... Shastri ji resigned taking moral responsibility for railway accident, @sidharthnsingh holds on to power even after death of infants (sic).” Singh is grandson of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
Incidentally, Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan too sought a time-bound probe into the deaths of the 30 children saying it was an “hour of test” for Yogi Adityanath. Paswan, a BJP ally, termed the deaths, as “heartrending” and noted that the tragedy happened in Adityanath’s constituency. “I am sure he will take it very seriously and it must be taken so. This is an hour of test for the Chief Minister,” Paswan said at a Press conference. He said he was unable to sleep due to the tragedy and demanded a strong action against those guilty.
- Upset over minor’s plight, lawyers thrash rapists in court 18 Jul 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Delhi air hostess suicide: Hubby sent to judicial custody 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- TN I-T raids yield Rs 200 cr cash, 100 kg gold 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Agnivesh assaulted in Jharkhand, probe on 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC condemns lynchings, asks Centre to frame separate law 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Mayawati boots out key aide for anti-RaGa rant 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- BJP seeks Rahul support to pass triple talaq, nikah halala Bills 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- PM reaches out to Opp on session eve 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- National database for gun licence holders, unique ID from next yr 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Air hostess’ husband arrested for dowry death 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | GIRIDIH
A major tragedy was averted when a bridge near Pirtard on Barakar river collapsed after a truck carrying popecron was crossing it on Wednesday early this morning. Two persons were seriously injured...