- Atal Bihari Vajpayee to take place at 4 PM tomorrow at Rashtriya Smriti Sthal in Delhi
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half
- Govt announces 7-day national mourning following demise of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Former Prime Minister Vajpayee dead
- Kerala rains: 12 more NDRF teams sent
Taj Mahal entry fee hiked, Rs 200 to see main mausoleum
Those keen to visit the iconic Taj Mahal in Agra will have to shell out more from April 1. The Centre has decided to introduce Rs 200 charge for seeing the main mausoleum and also raised the entry fee to Rs 50 from Rs 40. The new rules include a three-hour validity for tickets bought by domestic tourists.
As of now, there is no separate fee for entry to the main mausoleum that houses the spectacular marble graves of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan and his wife Mumtaz Mahal. There was no time restriction on the tickets, either.
Talking to reporters on Tuesday, Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma said the changes have been effected to “preserve the Taj Mahal” and for a better crowd management. Sharma said a recent report by the National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) recommended immediate steps to reduce the number of footfalls into the mausoleum to protect its integrity.
Claiming that everyone visiting the Taj Mahal is not interested in entering the mausoleum, Sharma said the move would not only help generate more revenue but also protect the fabric of the 17th century wonder.
The Taj Mahal attracts millions of visitors every year at an average of 22,000 every day. During peak tourist season, the number of tourists inside the complex crosses 60,000 to 70,000 every day. Presently, there is no check on number of footfalls visiting the historic monument.
Sharma also said the Ministry had taken special steps to ensure the comfort of foreign tourists who pay Rs 1,250 for an entering the Taj Mahal.
- Atal’s mortal remains to be consigned to flames at 4pm 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Kerala’s plight worsens, 30 more die in monsoon rage 17 Aug 2018 | PNS/PTI
- A titan’s journey ends 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- A Colossus moves on 17 Aug 2018 | Chandan Mitra
- Water guzzler plants suck several States dry 16 Aug 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- Capable of holding LS, 4 Assembly polls by year-end, says CEC 16 Aug 2018 | PNS
- CJI breaks silence on 4 rebel judges’ complaint 16 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Law panel to put up legal framework for ‘one nation, one poll’ 16 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Vajpayee’s condition critical, on life-support system: AIIMS 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- I am impatient agent of change: PM 16 Aug 2018 | SUGANDHA
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
All private and Government schools will remain closed today as a mark of respect to former Prime Minister late Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Vajpayee passed away after prolonged illness at AIIMS in Delhi on Thursday...