- No-confidence motion against Modi government defeated
- I want to assure people of Andhra Pradesh that they will not be left behind : PM
- I am 'chowkidar' and 'bhagidar', but not a 'saudagar' like you: PM to Rahul Gandh
- PM Modi to visit South Africa, attend BRICS Summit from July 23
- LS takes up for discussion no-trust vote against Modi govt
- Shiv Sena MPs to remain absent for no-trust motion against Modi govt
- India, US first '2+2 dialogue' on September 6: State Department
Trains faster than Rajdhani but sans flexi-fare on cards
The Railways will launch India’s fastest long-distance premium Express train before Diwali. It will be faster than the Rajdhanis and Durontos, will have just one stoppage and will be without the controversial flexi-fare system.
The first such train, whose name will be decided shortly, will be run between New Delhi and Mumbai on a trial basis with only a single stoppage at Ratlam. The existing Mumbai Rajdhani and August Kranti trains have seven and six stoppages en route respectively, while Duronto has four.
The Railway Board has given its approval to the train. An announcement in this regard will be made before Diwali and the services will be expanded to important destinations gradually. The train will operate with 18 coaches between Hazrat Nizamuddin station and Bandra Terminus (BDTS) stations and the most special feature for making it faster is that it will be pulled by two locomotives at a maximum speed of 130 kmph against the existing average of 80 kmph.
“The train will depart from Nizamuddin at 4.25 pm to reach Bandra Terminus at 6.10 am to complete the distance of 1,365 km in 13 hours and 45 minutes. The existing August Kranti Rajdhani takes 17 hours and the Mumbai Rajdhani takes 15 hours 30 minutes at an average speed of 90 kmph.
The train will run on Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) coaches,” said a senior railway official.
According to Railways’ technical experts, designed to run on 150 kmph the LHB coaches are of a superior design that reduce the chance of derailment and mitigates the possibility of grievous injury or death in case of accidents. These coaches have anti-climbing features and provision of superior braking.
When asked the need for the third Rajdhani-type train between the two destinations, the official indicated that similar services will be expanded between other important destinations gradually given the competition railways if facing from aviation sector.
“This new pair of train will provide succor to the passengers hit by dynamic fare system. Railways is in a catch 22 situation as the flexi scheme has augmented the passengers revenue by Rs 550 crore in a year but at the same time has been facing criticism from passengers. While the authorities are working on to review the flexi fare which would take some time, we are expecting that the new train with the normal fare slab would be an answer,” added the official.
During the festive season, while most of the trains go jam-packed, seats have been going vacant in premium trains due to the flexi fare scheme. According to figures, there are no takers for as much as 15 per cent of seats of total occupancy in trains such as Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto Express. The passengers are giving preference to budget airlines, as some tickets are cheaper in comparison to flexi fares.
For instance, the Mumbai-New Delhi Rajdhani Express has been running with vacant seats and the matter was discussed in the Board meeting with the Commercial Department following Rail Minister Piyush Goyal’s announcement regarding review of the dynamic fare scheme last month. The flexi fare scheme came into effect on September 9, 2016 wherein only the first 10 per cent of the seats were booked at the regular fare. Thereafter, the fare increases by 10 per cent with every 10 per cent of the seats booked.
- CAG tears into Rlys for shunned flexi-fare 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- WhatsApp limits forward messages to 5 chats to curb spread of canards 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Hearing on larger Bench for Ayodhya ends 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Collegium insists on Justice Joseph’s elevation to SC 21 Jul 2018 | Abraham Thomas
- Miffed at police failure to unclog traffic in Capital, SC summons CP 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- RaGa takes aim at Modi with jibe, jhappi & wink 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- France rejects Rahul’s Rafale secrecy claim 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- How can mere Kaamdaar make eye contact with Naamdaar? 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC slams Centre for non-use of Rs 77,000 cr environment funds 20 Jul 2018 | IANS
- AAP unleashes party leaders on CS 20 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...