1st anniv of demonetisation: Cong to observe Nov 8 as 'Black Day'
The ruling Congress in Puducherry today said it would observe November 8, the first anniversary of demonetisation, as 'Black Day' with its allies here.
"The Centre's move to demonetise Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 currency notes on November 8 last year had crippled the economy, worsened the unemployment problem and failed to achieve its purpose in the country," Puducherry PWD Minister and PCC president A Namassivayam said at a press conference here.
He said a meeting of the Congress and its allies including the DMK had been convened on October 31 to discuss the various activities to be conducted as part of the protest against the note ban implemented by the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre.
Namassivayam, who also holds the Local Administration portfolio, said efforts had been launched to curb spread of dengue by eradicating mosquitoes through multi-pronged measures including fogging operations.
He said the government had brought in a ban on display of advertisement materials, banners and cut-outs by political parties, business sector and others in areas which were outside the designated areas.
"We will abide by the directive of the Madras High Court and ensure that the ban on display of graffiti is not violated," he said adding two days time had been given to all those, who had displayed such materials to remove them.
"We will take strict action against those violating the ban," he added.
- Nitish cutting a 'sorry figure', should quit NDA: AAP 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- BJP hatao, desh bachao: Mamata's rallying poll cry 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Mountaineering team stumbles upon 50-yr-old wreckage of IAF plane 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Maryam refuses to shift to Sihala Rest House: report 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- TMC will win all 42 LS seats from WB: Mamata 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Former BJP MP Chandan Mitra, 4 Cong MLAs join TMC 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Day after PM hug, Rahul says only love and compassion can build a nation 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi has seriously hurt image of Indian politician before the world: Jaitley 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- ED files chargesheet against ex-HP CM's son 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- PM slams Oppn, refers to Rahul's 'unwanted hug' at UP rally 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...