26 Delhi govt school students fall sick after mid-day meal
Delhi's Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Wednesday ordered inspection of all mid-day meal kitchens in the city hours after 26 students of a government school were hospitalised after eating their meal. The Deputy CM warned of strict action, including termination of contract and suspension of officials.
"This is a serious matter. Officials have been told to inspect all the kitchens over the next week and take strict action if any irregularity is found. All the stakeholders will have to get their act together otherwise, they may face suspension," Sisodia said.
The Education Department will hold a meeting with those responsible for the mid-day meal scheme on Thursday, he said.
A police officer said the 26 students of classes six to eight fell sick after having the meal at their school in Narela area of north Delhi. They were rushed to Satyawadi Raja Harish Chandra Hospital.
Social Welfare minister Rajendra Pal Gautam visited the hospital to inquire about the students' condition. He said all the children were doing fine. "They had complained of pain and difficulty in breathing," he said.
"We will not tolerate any negligence about the health of the students. We will take strict action against the supplier. It is unfortunate that even after repeated warnings, such incidents are recurring," he said.
Last week, two girls were hospitalised after having their mid-day meal in their school, which is run by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD). The vendor was booked after the police received a complaint from the principal.
- Pak files counter-memorial on Jadhav's case in ICJ 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rahul constitutes CWC, convenes first meeting on July 22 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Obama gives Trump sharp rebuke in Mandela address on values 17 Jul 2018 | AP
- Flight attendant's in-laws to be questioned after July 20: Police 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Lets work on women's Quota, triple talaq & nikah halala together : Govt to Cong 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Tears don't reflect helplessness, never said Cong troubling me: Kumaraswamy 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Flight attendant suicide case: Husband sent to 14-day judicial custody 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Why Centre doesn't let Delhi government work, AAP MP asks Modi 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- SC reserves verdict on pleas challenging constitutional validity of section 377 of IPC 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Obama invokes Mahatma Gandhi in major speech in South Africa 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...