BCCI has not marketed Test cricket well: Gambhir
The BCCI may have created extremely popular and successful Indian Premier League (IPL) but the Indian board has not done "enough" to market Test cricket, revered by the purists, says former India opener Gautam Gambhir.
Known for his straight talking, the two-time World Cup winner put forth his point in presence of CoA chief Vinod Rai and CEO Rahul Johri.
"I don't think BCCI has marketed Test cricket as well as they have done with ODIs and T20s. I remember a Test match at Eden Gardens against West Indies (in 2011). India batting on the first day and there were 1000 people," Gambhir said.
"Imagine Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman playing and there are only 1000 people," the senior opener said during launch of cricket historian Boria Majumdar's book 'Eleven Gods and Billion Indians'.
Seasoned spinner Harbhajan Singh felt Test cricket should be taken to tier-2 cities but Gambhir said it's hardly a solution.
"I don't know but they have messed it somewhere. May be cut down on T20s and ODIs," the veteran of 58 Tests and 147 ODIs.
The former ICC 'Test batsman of the Year' also feels that playing white ball cricket before Test matches will be of little help.
India are schedule to play three Twenty20 and three ODIs before the five-Test series against England during their upcoming tour, starting June 27.
"Playing with red dukes in Test is completely different from playing white ball cricket. The three T20s and three ODIs isn't an indicator of how well you are prepared for the Tests," said the two-time IPL winning captain.
- Venkaiah Naidu, Amit Shah visit AIIMS to enquire about Vajpayee's health 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Southern Railways, Kochi Metro suspend operations in flood-hit Kerala 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee critical, remains on life-support system 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kerala flood toll touches 79, rains continue 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Yamuna crosses danger mark; 613 people evacuated 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rajnath speaks to Kerala CM; takes stock of flood situation 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Flag says Bharat Mata is sad: Kejriwal 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kejriwal refuses to accept Ashutosh's resignation 15 Aug 2018 | IANS
- India to send manned space mission by 2022: Modi 15 Aug 2018 | IANS
- AAP leader Ashutosh resigns from party 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...