- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Chidambaram says ED on witch-hunt in Aircel-Maxis case
Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram today accused the Enforcement Directorate (ED) of carrying out a witch-hunt against him in the Aircel-Maxis case, saying he has not been named in the FIR and the allegations will be answered in court.
The former finance minister's comments came a day after a Delhi court extended the protection from arrest granted to him and his son Karti in the case till August 7.
"In the Aircel-Maxis case, there is no FIR mentioning a scheduled offence and no public servant has been named. ED is on a witch-hunt and the allegations will be answered in Court," Chidambaram said on Twitter.
On May 30, Chidambaram had moved the court seeking protection from arrest in the case, saying all evidence in the matter appears to be documentary in nature. It is already in possession of the incumbent government and nothing is to be recovered from him, he said.
The court had earlier granted interim protection from arrest till yesterday to Karti in two cases filed by the CBI and ED in 2011 and 2012, respectively, in the Aircel-Maxis matter arising out of the 2G spectrum cases.
The matter pertains to Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearance being given to the firm M/S Global Communication Holding Services Ltd for investment in Aircel. Chidambaram was finance minister at the time.
- Govt to revisit AI stake sale plan after oil prices, forex rates stabilise 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 60-year-old man held for raping minor girl in Odisha 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- MiG 21 crashes in Kangra district of Himachal 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- No stopping sealing, demolition of unauthorised constructions in Delhi: SC 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Completely paralysed despite Constitution bench verdict, Delhi govt tells SC 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- No-confidence motion moved against Modi govt;Speaker admits it 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhi HC asks JNU not to take any coercive step against Kanhaiya till July 20 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Government ready to discuss any issue in house: Modi 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Guess who uses hatred, fear to maintain power: Rahul Gandhi 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Trump says he misspoke on Russia meddling; has full faith in US intelligence agencies 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...