Congress linking Ram temple issue with elections: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday accused the Congress of linking the Ram temple issue to the Lok Sabha elections and attacked senior leader Kapil Sibal's arguments in the Supreme Court for deferring hearing the matter till after the 2019 polls.
"Yesterday in the Supreme Court, a Congress MP Kapil Sibal was arguing (which is his right) for the Babri Masjid. He is entitled to do that, but is it right for him to say postpone hearing till 2019?" Modi said while addressing a rally in Gujarat's Dhandhuka.
"Why does he have to link a Ram Mandir (temple) with elections. Is such thinking proper?" Modi asked from the crowd.
He also accused the Congress of linking the Ram temple issue with the elections.
"Now Congress links Ram Mandir with elections. They are least bothered about the nation," Modi said.
Modi's remarks came a day after Sibal while representing the Sunni Waqf Board on Tuesday urged the Supreme Court to defer hearing in the Ayodhya title suit till July 2019 when the next Lok Sabha elections will be over.
However, the demand was brushed aside by the court as it fixed February 8, 2018 for commencing final hearing in the case.
The Congress distanced itself from Sibal's stand saying it does not represent the party's stand.
Gujarat assembly polls will be held on December 9 and December 14.
- Small business will be worst hit by depreciating rupee: WB CM 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Creamy layer cannot be applied to deny benefits of quota in promotions: Centre to SC 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 45 people stranded at waterfall in MP rescued, 8 missing 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee hits new all-time low of 70.32, plunges 43 paise vs USD 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Venkaiah Naidu, Amit Shah visit AIIMS to enquire about Vajpayee's health 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Southern Railways, Kochi Metro suspend operations in flood-hit Kerala 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee critical, remains on life-support system 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kerala flood toll touches 79, rains continue 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Yamuna crosses danger mark; 613 people evacuated 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rajnath speaks to Kerala CM; takes stock of flood situation 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...