Congress wins Bengaluru's Jayanagar Assembly seat
The Congress on Wednesday snatched the Jayanagar Assembly seat in Bengaluru from the BJP, with its candidate Sowmya Reddy winning by a narrow margin of 2,889 votes.
At the end of the vote count, Sowmya Reddy polled 54,457 votes while the Bharatiya Janata Party's B.N. Prahlad got 51,568 votes, an Election Commission official told IANS.
Polling was held on Monday after the May 12 Assembly election in the seat was countermanded following the death of BJP contestant B.N. Vijaya Kumar on May 4.
The BJP nominated Kumar's younger brother Prahlad as its candidate while Sowmya is the daughter of Congress leader and former Home Minister Ramalinga Reddy.
Amidst bursting of firecrackers and celebrations at Ramalinga Reddy's residence, the winning candidate Sowmya said the victory belonged to all Congress party workers.
"This is a collective victory of all the Congress party workers and the guidance of my father (Ramalinga Reddy)," Sowmya told reporters.
With wins in Rajarajeshwari Nagar in Bengaluru and now in Jayanagar, the Congress tally in the 225-member Assembly has gone up to 79.
- Yamuna again crosses danger mark; authorities issue directions to avoid flood-like situation 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Let contentious issues, extraneous debates not distract us: Prez's I-day message 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Falling rupee gives 'supreme leader' a vote of no-confidence: Rahul 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Traffic restrictions on some roads for I-Day function tomorrow 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No decision to shift Aero India from Bengaluru: Union min 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 'One nation, one poll' a good idea but not implementable at present: Nitish 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- I pleaded for burial space at Marina: Stalin 14 Aug 2018 | IANS
- SC to hear plea of 300 Army personnel challenging FIR against them in AFSPA areas 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 2 Pakistani soldiers killed by Indian Army in J-K's Kupwara 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee plummets to historic low of 70.09 on Turkish lira collapse 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | PNS | Bengaluru
Rs 8 lakh looted in Nimapara Bazar Nimapara: Four miscreants coming by two bikes on Tuesday at 11 am looted Rs 8 lakh from a cattle feed businessman in front of the Ananda Nursing Home at Nimapara main canal road 4. One Ranjan Sahoo of Rupadeipur village under the Balanga PS with his father-in-law was coming by a Bolero to Nimapara to pay the amount to the wholesaler...