Delhi air quality beyond 'severe' due to dust storm in western India
The air quality in Delhi today deteriorated beyond the "severe" level because of a ground-level dust storm in western India which increased coarser particles in the air, the Central Pollution Control Board data showed.
The CPCB data showed that the PM10 (particles with diameter less than 10mm) level was beyond "severe" at 778 in Delhi-NCR area and 824 in Delhi particularly, leading to hazy conditions and limiting visibility.
Gufran Beig, a scientist at the Centre-run System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research institute, said the dust storm deteriorated the air quality in Delhi-NCR.
"There was a ground-level dust storm in the western part of the country that increased drastically coarser particles in the air, causing a spike in pollution levels in Delhi," he said.
But the air quality should improve later today, he said.
"Such dust storms accompanied by high-speed winds (30-40 kmph) do not last too long due to which the air quality will return to normal by this evening," Beig added.
According to CPCB, the air quality index at several places in Delhi crossed the 500-mark, with east Delhi's Anand Vihar area recording an AQI of 891.
An AQI between 0-50 is considered Good, 51-100 Satisfactory, 101-200 Moderate, 201-300 Poor, 301-400 Very Poor, and 401-500 Severe
- Yamuna again crosses danger mark; authorities issue directions to avoid flood-like situation 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Let contentious issues, extraneous debates not distract us: Prez's I-day message 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Falling rupee gives 'supreme leader' a vote of no-confidence: Rahul 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Traffic restrictions on some roads for I-Day function tomorrow 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No decision to shift Aero India from Bengaluru: Union min 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 'One nation, one poll' a good idea but not implementable at present: Nitish 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- I pleaded for burial space at Marina: Stalin 14 Aug 2018 | IANS
- SC to hear plea of 300 Army personnel challenging FIR against them in AFSPA areas 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 2 Pakistani soldiers killed by Indian Army in J-K's Kupwara 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee plummets to historic low of 70.09 on Turkish lira collapse 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...