Explosives seized in Maha, right-wing Hindu outfit member held
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) has arrested a member of a right-wing Hindu outfit and seized huge quantity of explosives from his residence at Nallasopara in Palghar district of the state, police said today.
Vaibhav Raut, a member of 'Hindu Govansh Raksha Samiti', was apprehended from Bhandar Aali in Nallasopara West late last night, an official said.
"ATS sleuths raided his residence and shop where they found huge quantity of explosives, including crude bombs. Some literature was also seized," he said.
After taking Raut into custody, the ATS team returned to Mumbai, where he would be interrogated.
He is likely to be produced before a court this afternoon, the official added.
In a statement, Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) termed Raut's arrest "Malegaon part II".
The Malegaon case centres around the September 29, 2008 bomb explosion near Bhiku Chowk in the Muslim-dominated Malegaon town of Nashik district, which killed six people and injured 101 others.
"Vaibhav Raut is a daring cow protector. He was active through an organisation- Hindu Govansh Raksha Samiti - dedicated to the protection of cows," HJS state organiser Sunil Ghanvat said, adding, "He used to participate in the programmes and agitations organised through uniting Hindu organisations under the aegis of HJS."
He, however, claimed that Raut had not participated in any of the programmes for the last few months.
"The incidents of needless harassment of activists of Hindu organisations to implicate them in false cases, etc are not new any more. This has been amply proved through Malegaon case and the arrest of many innocent seekers of Sanatan Sanstha," Ghanvat said.
"Considering the news being disseminated today, it has created doubt whether the arrest of Vaibhav Raut is an instance of Malegaon part II," he said.
- PM leaves for Kerala to take stock of flood situation 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Delhi government to donate Rs 10 cr to flood-battered Kerala 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Atal ji will live on in hearts and minds of every India: Modi 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Air India pilots threaten to stop ops on flying allowance dues 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Imran defeats Shahbaz to become Pak's new PM 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Set up committee on solid-waste management, SC tells Delhi L-G 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee laid to rest, daughter Namita lights funeral pyre 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sidhu arrives in Pak to attend Khan's oath taking ceremony 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Atalji's stature, dignity attracted me to public life: Kovind 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi's UK visit under cloud as parliament event changes hands 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2018 | PNS | lOHARDAGA
Four ministers of School Children’s Parliament of Govt Middle school Narauli were felicitated for their outstanding leadership and excellent services in school management on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day. After the flag hoisting programme President Ramdayal Oraon, Prime Minister Sheela Oraon, Education Minister Anjali Oraon and Nutrition Minister Chandmuni Oraon were given certificate of appreciation and Oxford English Grammar book as prize...