- Atal Bihari Vajpayee to take place at 4 PM tomorrow at Rashtriya Smriti Sthal in Delhi
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half
- Govt announces 7-day national mourning following demise of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Former Prime Minister Vajpayee dead
- Kerala rains: 12 more NDRF teams sent
Fill posts in child rights panels, implement Juvenile Justice Act: SC to Centre, states
The Supreme Court today passed a slew of directions for effective implementation of the Juvenile Justice Act and asked the Centre and states to ensure that all positions in national and state commissions for the protection of child rights are filled up.
A bench of Justices Madan B Lokur and Deepak Gupta also directed the states to ensure that all positions in juvenile justice boards and Child Welfare Committees are filled up expeditiously and in accordance with rules.
Any delay in filling up the positions might adversely impact on children and this should be avoided, the bench said.
The top court also requested the chief justices of all high courts to register proceedings on their own for effective implementation of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015.
It asked all the high courts to seriously consider establishing child-friendly courts and vulnerable witness courts in each district.
"The Ministry of Women and Child Development in the Government of India and the State Governments should ensure that all positions in the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) and the State Commissions for Protection of Child Rights (SCPR) are filled up well in time and adequate staff is provided to these statutory bodies so that they can function effectively and meaningfully for the benefit of the children," the bench said.
The apex court's judgement came on a PIL seeking implementation of the Juvenile Justice Act and its rules. The petition has raised the issue of alleged apathy by the governments in implementing the welfare measure.
- BJP rode on Vajpayee's appeal to win allies and power in 90s 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- UP may drop Jewar int'l airport project if farmers don't hand over land: Official 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half mast 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee laid foundation of good governance: Yogi Adityanath 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee among tallest leaders of modern India: Manmohan 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India has lost a great son, will miss him: Rahul on Vajpayee 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee nursed BJP into a banyan tree in Indian politics: Shah 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kovind condoles Vajpayee's death 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee's death a great loss for India: Kejriwal 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Death of Vajpayee end of an era; it's a personal loss for me: PM 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
All private and Government schools will remain closed today as a mark of respect to former Prime Minister late Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Vajpayee passed away after prolonged illness at AIIMS in Delhi on Thursday...