India, Pakistan NSAs met, talked terror: MEA
India for the first time confirmed on Thursday that National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval met his Pakistani counterpart Nasir Khan Janjua in Bangkok last month with a focus on how to fight terror and end cross-border terrorism.
"Yes, I agree talks took place. I also agree that the issue is of terrorism. Talks were held on how to rid this region of the scourge of terrorism, how to ensure that terrorism doesn't affect this region. I think we raised the issue of cross-border terrorism (with Pakistan) in those talks," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said.
He was answering queries about media reports on the meeting between Doval and Janjua in Bangkok on December 26 -- a day after the mother and wife of retired Naval officer Kulbhushan Jadhav met him in Islamabad and were subjected to humiliation by Pakistani authorities and a section of the press.
The spokesperson de-linked the meeting between the NSAs from the stalled India-Pakistan dialogue process and said it was a part of operational level engagement between the two countries.
"The dialogue process between India and Pakistan... We have said talks and terror cannot go together. But apart from that, there are other dialogue mechanisms that take place between India and Pakistan like talks at DGMO level, talks between BSF and Pakistan Rangers, there is a regular mechanism. Likewise, talks between NSAs is a part of operational level talks."
He said while India believed that "terror and talks cannot go together but talks on terror can definitely go ahead".
Asked if more such meetings between the NSAs were scheduled, Kumar said "these operational-level mechanisms do take place... but we don't announce these meeting. As and when these meetings take place, you will get to know."
- Alwar lynching: 3rd accused arrested, probe handed over to additional SP-rank officer 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Woman approaches police with foetus in bag, alleges rape 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Yogi calls on UP governor to discuss upcoming programmes in the state 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Prez on two-day visit to Chhattisgarh's Bastar division on Jul 25-26 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 5-storey under-construction building collapses in Ghaziabad; 1 dead 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Air India leaves Indian TT squad stranded at IGI airport 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Casualties after blast near Kabul airport following VP Dostum's arrival: officials 22 Jul 2018 | AFP
- Delhi govt to double financial assistance for maintenance of parks 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Def minister doing flip-flop on secrecy clause; surely a scam in Rafale deal: Rahul 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Assam NRC draft: Will give chance to file objections, says Rajnath 22 Jul 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | AFP | tehran
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that negotiations with the United States are “useless” because it does not abide by agreements. “As I have previously said, we cannot trust in the words of the United States and even in their signature, so negotiations with the United States are useless,” Khamenei told a gathering of Iranian diplomats in Tehran...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Capital city of Raipur is crucial for all parties, as it has four Assembly constituencies. Congress party which has been trying to make inroads into these constituencies is now in search of a new district president for the Capital city...