- Atal Bihari Vajpayee to take place at 4 PM tomorrow at Rashtriya Smriti Sthal in Delhi
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half
- Govt announces 7-day national mourning following demise of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Former Prime Minister Vajpayee dead
- Kerala rains: 12 more NDRF teams sent
Modi likes peeping into bathrooms, not doing his job: Rahul
Taking a swipe at Narendra Modi for his "raincoat in bathroom" barb at Manmohan Singh, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi today said the Prime Minister was more interested in "peeping into bathrooms of people".
The Congress Vice President also said that the Prime Minister will get a "jolt" once the results of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections are out.
"Modi likes to read janampatri (horoscope), search Google and peep into the bathrooms of people...But he is a failure as a Prime Minister," he said at a joint press conference with Samajwadi Party President Akhilesh Yadav where the SP-Congress alliance released a 10-point Common Minimum Programme (CMP).
"He (Modi) can do this (peeping into bathrooms) in his free time," Rahul said.
His comments come against the backdrop of the Prime Minister's remarks in Parliament that one should learn the art of "bathing with a raincoat on" from Manmohan Singh as there was not a single taint on him despite so many scams having taken place during his regime.
Modi had said in an election rally in Haridwar yesterday that BJP had a detailed dossier on the Congress leaders.
"Mein Congress ke logon se kehta hoon: jabaan sambhaal kar rakho, warna mere paas aapki poori janampatri padi hui hai (hold your tongue, I have your entire horoscope).
Reacting to this comment, Rahul today dared him saying, "You are the Prime Minister for over past two years...You can take out the janmapatri of Congress and go ahead with it."
To another comment of Modi that Rahul is the "most joked about person" on Google, the Congress Vice President hit back, saying, "...He likes to search Google and he can do so in his past time...But he has failed in his functions as PM...He will get a jolt from the results of these elections."
"(Actually) Modi's policy is that of distraction...When he cannot give answers to issues like employment, security, demonetisation...He indulges in distraction and the whole country knows about it," Rahul said.
He said Modi had promised to provide two lakh jobs every year and last year only one lakh youths were provided jobs and this year with the unemployment going high, things are back to square one.
"Modi talks about security and terorism...The result of surgical strike has been that some 90 security personnel had to sacrifice their lives first time in seven years," he said.
Speaking at the press conference, the UP Chief Minister said emotions and anger were not right as these were elections for growth and prosperity of the state.
"Anyone's 'janmpatri' is just a click away in this age of Internet," Akhilesh said, asking the "PM and BJP not to mislead people and come forward and tell them as to what they have given to the state which has elected all prominent NDA leaders".
To a question on prominent Muslim clerics like Maulana Ahmed Bukhari and Kalbe Jawwad extending support to BSP, Akhilesh said personal issues should not be manifested at the political level.
"One maulana earlier used to seek votes for BJP and is now backing BSP. Is he working towards an alliance between the two parties? As far as the second maulana is concerned you can ask him personally he will give his blessings to the two of us," he said.
To a question on whether this alliance will remain intact in the future too, Rahul said, "This is also an alliance of joint vision. We have not come together just for forming a government in UP but also to transform the state."
Reality is that the voters understand that the alliance is going to sweep these elections and change Uttar Pradesh, he said.
To a question on "lack of coordination" in the alliance, especially on certain seats where both parties are in contest, Rahul said, "On 99 per cent of 403 seats there is no problem and issues are being resolved on the remaining seats...We are fighting elections together...It is wrong to say there is no coordination in alliance."
"We want that the government is a set up of youths with a vision...While other parties do not talk about foundation... these 10 points in the joint programme are foundations of development," Rahul stressed.
"We also want that the state get a government of all and everyone feels that it is their government...We will help farmers and give jobs to youths," he said.
Akhilesh said he was happy with initial voting trend in the first phase of polling. "First votes went to SP-Congress alliance and so the alliance will be ahead," he said.
In a dig at BSP chief Mayawati, Akhilesh referred to statues of elephants and stone memorials built in her tenure and said, "Pattharwali sarkar bhi ab development ki baat kar rahi hai...Yeh alliance ka impact hai."
- PM's boycott to continue till he apologises: Moily 10 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Demonetisation was in national interest: Rajnath 10 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Cycle can ride through storm:UP CM, slams PM's 'BJP storm' remark 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Akhilesh, Rahul call for crushing BJP's divisive politics 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Rahul on Badals: Sukhbir an icon of corruption 28 Jan 2017 | IANS
- 'Daro mat', tweets Rahul after BJP moves EC against him 17 Jan 2017 | PTI
- PM Modi, Guv, Stalin greet CM Panneerselvam on his birthday 14 Jan 2017 | PTI
- 2 months after note ban, Mamata wants Prez to intervene, Manmohan also cautions 09 Jan 2017 | PTI
- `All ministers should think why air purifiers became necessary in Mumbai' 05 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Pakistan releases 219 more Indian fishermen 05 Jan 2017 | PTI
- BJP rode on Vajpayee's appeal to win allies and power in 90s 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- UP may drop Jewar int'l airport project if farmers don't hand over land: Official 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half mast 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee laid foundation of good governance: Yogi Adityanath 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee among tallest leaders of modern India: Manmohan 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India has lost a great son, will miss him: Rahul on Vajpayee 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vajpayee nursed BJP into a banyan tree in Indian politics: Shah 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kovind condoles Vajpayee's death 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee's death a great loss for India: Kejriwal 16 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Death of Vajpayee end of an era; it's a personal loss for me: PM 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
All private and Government schools will remain closed today as a mark of respect to former Prime Minister late Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Vajpayee passed away after prolonged illness at AIIMS in Delhi on Thursday...