Naxals torch five empty trucks in C'garh
A group of Naxals allegedly set ablaze five empty trucks in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh early today, police said.
With this, Maoists have so far torched at least nine vehicles, including two passenger buses, in the last three days in separate incidents in Dantewada, police said.
The arson is being viewed as a reaction to the death 15 Naxals in an encounter with security forces in neighbouring Sukma district on August 6.
"As per the information, a group of armed Naxals reached near the office of Truck Owners' Association in Bacheli town, where several trucks were parked, in the wee hours," Dantewada Additional Superintendent of Police Gorakhnath Baghel told PTI.
"They threatened the truck drivers to leave the place and before fleeing from the spot, they torched five empty trucks," he added.
Soon after being alerted about the incident, a police team was rushed to the spot.
Security arrangements have been stepped up in the area and combing operation has been intensified to trace the ultras, he said.
These trucks were engaged in transportation of iron ore in Bailadila iron ore mines area that consists of two towns- Kirandul and Bacheli- located around 450 kms away from the capital Raipur.
"Maoists are frustrated over the death of its cadres in recent encounters in Sukma and Bijapur and therefore they are committing such acts," Baghel said.
As many as 15 ultras were gunned down in an encounter with security forces in Konta area in Sukma on August 6.
Two days after the incident, naxals torched two buses and a truck in Bhansi area of Dantewada after asking occupants of the vehicles to alight.
In another incident on the same day, the engine of an empty rake of the Visakhapatnam-Kirandul passenger train derailed after Naxals uprooted railway tracks near Kamaloor railway station in Dantewada.
Yesterday, Maoists had torched a JCB machine, engaged in pipeline laying works, in Kuakonda police station area of the district.
- PM leaves for Kerala to take stock of flood situation 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Delhi government to donate Rs 10 cr to flood-battered Kerala 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Atal ji will live on in hearts and minds of every India: Modi 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Air India pilots threaten to stop ops on flying allowance dues 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Imran defeats Shahbaz to become Pak's new PM 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Set up committee on solid-waste management, SC tells Delhi L-G 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee laid to rest, daughter Namita lights funeral pyre 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sidhu arrives in Pak to attend Khan's oath taking ceremony 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Atalji's stature, dignity attracted me to public life: Kovind 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi's UK visit under cloud as parliament event changes hands 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2018 | PNS | lOHARDAGA
Four ministers of School Children’s Parliament of Govt Middle school Narauli were felicitated for their outstanding leadership and excellent services in school management on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day. After the flag hoisting programme President Ramdayal Oraon, Prime Minister Sheela Oraon, Education Minister Anjali Oraon and Nutrition Minister Chandmuni Oraon were given certificate of appreciation and Oxford English Grammar book as prize...