PM accuses Cong govt in U'khand of having no vision for growth
Accusing the Congress government in Uttarakhand of having no vision for growth even though the state has great potential in tourism and allied sectors, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today asked the people to vote out the ruling party and give BJP a chance to ensure new heights of development in the next five years.
"Have you ever thought why despite having such great potential Uttarakhand has lagged behind Chattisgarh and Jharkhand which were created together by Atal Bihari Vajpayee? In spite of the Maoist problem, Chattisgargh with a BJP government has established itself among the fastest growing states," he told a poll rally at the GITI Maidan here.
Similarly, Jharkhand despite being a backward area has begun to attract investors under BJP rule, Modi said while asking as to why Uttarakhand has lagged behind them in terms of development.
Claiming that the Congress government in the state was devoid of the vision to drive it on the path of development, he appealed to the people to vote overwhelmingly in support of BJP this time to change their fate.
Modi said that he has grand plans to tap the state's tourism potential and herbal wealth to lure visitors from all over the world to its doorsteps.
Alleging that Chief Minister Harish Rawat has failed to stop mass exodus from villages in the hills due to lack of job opportunities, Modi said why should a state that has the potential to attract the whole world in fields of tourism, herbal wealth and unique traditions in yoga should suffer from migration of young people in search of livelihood.
Stressing that the Centre's promotional efforts has popularised yoga all over the world and people from far corners wanted to visit Haridwar and Rishikesh, he said there is tremendous untapped potential in these cities to develop as international yoga destinations.
"New employment opportunities can be generated in tourism, yoga and herbal sectors and the exodus of young people from villages in the hills can be stopped thoroughly. It is not impossible. What is needed is a vision, a sense of purpose," Modi said.
He also said a railway network can be also laid in the hills.
Giving an example, he said the Centre had recently laid the foundation stone of a Rs 12,000-crore all-weather 'Chardham" road project and that once it is completed it will give an unprecedented boost to tourism in the state.
"It will also generate new employment opportunities for people living in rural areas," he said adding it was a reflection of what a vision and a true intent to work can do for development.
Asking the people to turn up in large numbers at the booths to cast their vote in favour of BJP on February 15, he said they should not allow a party which was opposed to the creation of Uttarakhand to remain in power any longer.
"The present chief minister had opposed creation of Uttarakhand. His party is in now alliance with the Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh at whose behest women were raped and people shot dead at Rampur Tiraha during the statehood agitation.
"Even in Uttarakhand Congress and SP have a secret alliance. Would you vote for them?" he asked.
Modi also hit back at Congress for criticising him for demonitisation saying the measure had robbed the party of its sleep.
"It is three months since demonitisation happened but they are still abusing me. Don't you think I should make those who have looted this country ruthlessly for the 70 years pay back.
"I won't sit relaxed until I have made them do so. I have waged a war against corruption and black money for the sake of the poor and nothing can make me step back. I am ready to face anything for the sake of the country's poor," he said.
Charging Rawat with having been caught on camera negotiating a monetary deal to buy back support of disgruntled MLAs, Modi said he should be "ashamed" of turning "devbhoomi" into "lootbhoomi".
- PM's boycott to continue till he apologises: Moily 10 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Cycle can ride through storm:UP CM, slams PM's 'BJP storm' remark 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- 2 months after note ban, Mamata wants Prez to intervene, Manmohan also cautions 09 Jan 2017 | PTI
- JD(U) to 'review' stand on demonetisation after Jan 24 08 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Pakistan releases 219 more Indian fishermen 05 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Modi announces lucky draw schemes for digital payments 25 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Modi takes hovercraft for 'jal-pooja' of Shivaji memorial 24 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Notes ban scripted to execute Rs 8 lakh crore scam: Kejriwal 23 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Kejriwal attacks PM, Cong over note scrapping 20 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Will talk about demonetisation scenario post Dec 30: Uddhav 20 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Pak files counter-memorial on Jadhav's case in ICJ 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rahul constitutes CWC, convenes first meeting on July 22 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Obama gives Trump sharp rebuke in Mandela address on values 17 Jul 2018 | AP
- Flight attendant's in-laws to be questioned after July 20: Police 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Lets work on women's Quota, triple talaq & nikah halala together : Govt to Cong 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Tears don't reflect helplessness, never said Cong troubling me: Kumaraswamy 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Flight attendant suicide case: Husband sent to 14-day judicial custody 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Why Centre doesn't let Delhi government work, AAP MP asks Modi 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- SC reserves verdict on pleas challenging constitutional validity of section 377 of IPC 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Obama invokes Mahatma Gandhi in major speech in South Africa 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...