Pompeo discusses Trump-Kim summit outcome with Moon
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday metwith South Korean President Moon Jae-in here to discuss the outcome of the historic summit between American President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
According to the South Korean Presidential office, Pompeo told Moon at the start of the meeting that there is still "a great deal of work to do" and that he trusts that both sides will be able to cooperate and bring peace to the Korean Peninsula, Efe news reported.
Pompeo also said he was "confident that we took a very good, significant step in Singapore" and that the US and North Korea will work together to provide their citizens with the best results.
He thanked Moon, who has met with Kim twice since April, for his mediation between North Korea and the US, saying that if it had not been for Moon's effort, the talks between Trump and Kim would not have been possible.
Moon said he was satisfied with the outcome of the summit and what is most important is that it has allowed the world to escape from the threats of a nuclear war and long-range missiles.
However, there was no mention of the suspension of annual South Korean-US military maneuvers, which Trump unexpectedly announced on June 12 at the end of the summit.
Trump and Kim had signed an agreement at the end of their summit in which they pledged to open a new chapter of relations, establish peace and work towards North Korea's complete denuclearisation.
Pompeo also held talks with his South Korean and Japanese counterparts Kang Kyung-wha and Taro Kono respectively to further discuss the details of the Singapore summit.
- Flag says Bharat Mata is sad: Kejriwal 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kejriwal refuses to accept Ashutosh's resignation 15 Aug 2018 | IANS
- India to send manned space mission by 2022: Modi 15 Aug 2018 | IANS
- AAP leader Ashutosh resigns from party 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No let up in torrential rains in Kerala, Kochi airport shut 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Committed to bring in triple talaq law, some people stalling it: PM 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- London Police returns stolen 12th century Buddha statue to India on I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Yamuna again crosses danger mark; authorities issue directions to avoid flood-like situation 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Let contentious issues, extraneous debates not distract us: Prez's I-day message 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Falling rupee gives 'supreme leader' a vote of no-confidence: Rahul 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...