Rafale "biggest ever" defence scam: Rahul Gandhi
Congress president Rahul Gandhi today termed the Rafale fighter jet deal as the country's "biggest ever" defence scam and blamed Prime Minister Narendra Modi for it.
Addressing an event here, he claimed that the price of the Rafale jets "magically" rose from Rs 540 to Rs 1600 crore per piece.
India had signed an agreement in 2015 for procurement of 36 Rafale figher planes from France.
"The UPA government had readied the Rafale contract, according to which the price for each jet was approximately Rs 540 crore. The contract was ready and Modi ji only had to take a decision.
"But, Modi ji goes to France and scraps the previous contract and the Defence minister and other cabinet ministers do not know about it," Gandhi said.
The Congress leader alleged that a contract related to the fighter deal was snatched from the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and given to a private company which has never made an aeroplane nor taken any defence contract.
"The company, which was given the contract, was in a debt of Rs 45,000 crore," he claimed.
Gandhi, while speaking after inaugrating the newly- constructed office of the party's state unit, also said that Modi has not yet spoken a word on the rape incidents in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Rajasthan.
The situation has not been as bad in the "last 3000 years", he said while referring to the rape incidents.
- PM leaves for Kerala to take stock of flood situation 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Delhi government to donate Rs 10 cr to flood-battered Kerala 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Atal ji will live on in hearts and minds of every India: Modi 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Air India pilots threaten to stop ops on flying allowance dues 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Imran defeats Shahbaz to become Pak's new PM 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Set up committee on solid-waste management, SC tells Delhi L-G 17 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Vajpayee laid to rest, daughter Namita lights funeral pyre 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sidhu arrives in Pak to attend Khan's oath taking ceremony 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Atalji's stature, dignity attracted me to public life: Kovind 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi's UK visit under cloud as parliament event changes hands 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2018 | PNS | lOHARDAGA
Four ministers of School Children’s Parliament of Govt Middle school Narauli were felicitated for their outstanding leadership and excellent services in school management on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day. After the flag hoisting programme President Ramdayal Oraon, Prime Minister Sheela Oraon, Education Minister Anjali Oraon and Nutrition Minister Chandmuni Oraon were given certificate of appreciation and Oxford English Grammar book as prize...