SC to hear plea for interim relief on mandatory linking of Aadhaar
The Supreme Court on Thursday said it will hear a batch of application seeking interim relief on the mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various schemes including bank accounts and mobile telephone numbers.
Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice A.M. Khanwikar and Justice D.Y. Chandrachud said the Constitution bench that will hear the various plea for interim relief will also indicate the dates when petitions challenging the constitutional validity of Aadhaar Act would to taken up for hearing.
As the court said that the matter would be heard next week by the Constitution bench, Attorney General K.K. Venugopal indicated that the deadline for the linking of bank accounts with Aadhaar would be extended till March 31, 2018.
However, he expressed some difficulty in extending the deadline on linking with mobile telephones in view of the earlier ruling of the top court.
The Attorney General said that in respect of 131 services, a notification would be issued.
The court said the plea for interim relief would be heard next week after the Aadhaar matter was mentioned by senior counsel P.B. Suresh who appeared for lead petitioner Justice K.S. Puttuswamy -- a former judge of the Karnataka High Court.
Justice Puttuswamy and many others have challenged the validity of Aadhaar Act on the grounds that it violates the fundamental right to privacy.
- Phogat's performance will inspire others: PM 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No dialogue offer from Modi to Khan: Pak 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Bengal to examine financial aid to MSMEs through SCBs: Mamata 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Kerala floods declared 'calamity of severe nature' 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Wrestler Vinesh enters history books, becomes first Indian to win Asiad gold 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- HC asks DMRC how it can justify not providing free drinking water to commuters 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Will give a strong reply when needed: Sidhu on Pak visit 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Govt has asked industrialists, biz organisations to help Kerala deal with floods: Prabhu 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Alwar lynching: SC seeks Rajasthan's response 20 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Pak wants 'uninterrupted' dialogue with India: Qureshi 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The beauty of city of lakes painted through vibrant colours and the eye catching shades over canvas spellbound the art appreciators. A group painting exhibition is being put up at Swaraj Bhavan Art Gallery that began here from Monday...