- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Sidhu joins Congress after meeting Rahul Gandhi
Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu today joined Congress ahead of assembly poll in Punjab after meeting party Vice President Rahul Gandhi.
Sidhu's wife Navjot Kaur had joined Congress in November last year leading to speculation that he may follow suit.
"Indian National Congress (INC) welcomes S Navjot Singh Sidhu into Congress family and we thank Congress Vice President for his visionary approach in bringing together like-minded people on common platform under the Congress umbrella," Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said in a statement.
"Known for straight taking, ideological commitment to the cause of nationalism as also wit and humour, we are certain that Congress party will be immensely strengthened in Punjab and elsewhere with the entry of Sidhu," said the statement posted on the party twitter handle.
Navjot Kaur along with Pargat Singh, a former Akali Dal legislator who had joined hands with Sidhu to form the outfit Awaaz-E Punjab, had joined Congress after the Sidhus left the BJP.
Earlier, there was speculation that the couple may join Aam Aadmi Party but their talks with AAP leadership failed.
Punjab goes to polls on February 4.
- Rahul puts forth demands to PM ahead of his address 31 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Rahul trying to weaken fight against black money: BJP 24 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Kejriwal attacks PM, Cong over note scrapping 20 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Set up commission to probe source of political parties' funds: Kejriwal 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Uddhav mocks BJP-Cong for Parl logjam over demonetisation 15 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi, Kejriwal wish President on birthday 11 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Vijay Mallya's twitter account hacked 09 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Jaya buried with full state honours, Prez, PM pay homage 06 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Naidu attacks Cong, Left over tomorrow's planned protests 27 Nov 2016 | PTI
- 'BJP should declare it will contest polls with cheques only' 13 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Delhi sealing: Are officials sleeping or keeping their eyes closed, asks SC 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- ED files charge sheets in seven coal scam cases 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Six held for sexually assaulting Russian tourist in TN: Police 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Paper leaks: CBSE mulling encrypted question papers from next year 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- No plan to increase retirement age of SC, HC judges: Prasad 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Thai youth soccer players rescued from cave meet the media 18 Jul 2018 | AP
- Govt to revisit AI stake sale plan after oil prices, forex rates stabilise 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India' first comprehensive anti-trafficking bill introduced in Lok Sabha 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 60-year-old man held for raping minor girl in Odisha 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- MiG 21 crashes in Kangra district of Himachal 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...